PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help - Planning on making a stew on Saturday and haven't made one in over a year

Options
2»

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bought it at the meat market in the town centre but there wasn't much choice, going to have a look round other butchers next time. Probably do a stew every few weeks in the winter its a good winter warmer.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Must add though cost of the stew goes up when you add hubby's Full loaf of bread he had with it over the weekend. I am enjoying all this cooking from scratch. We're having a roast dinner next weekend and plan to make a chicken soup from the remains, I've never made soupd before so think this is quite daring for me.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Make sure you ASK the butcher ... mine doesn't display every single cut of meat. He waits until he's asked and then goes and cuts it. My butcher is really odd as he doesn't display any cuts at all :eek:

You go in and ask for what you want. He goes out the back, chucks the carcass over his shoulder, brings it out to the shop and butchers it there in front of your eyes.

A good way of finding a decent butcher is to go in like a helpless little woman ;) And say "my old man wants a good beef stew. Have you got a thrifty cut of meat that'll do the job, otherwise my bedroom fun will be restricted?". Butchers love this sort of banter and they also love the opportunity to show off their meat knowledge & butchery skills.

Any butcher that doesn't (a) respond with a good bit of cheeky banter and (b) doesn't get a suitable piece of meat to show you, whilst quoting the price ... isn't worth going back to. And if he asks for a "promise" if hubby likes his stew, you'll have a decent, friendly butcher for life :D

Act a little dumb & pathetic ... as is the way in life, most men will fall over backwards to help women out .. it strokes their precious egos (bless 'em!)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure