advice on training to be either a plumber or electrician

Options
hi all
just wondered if anyone has any advice on the best way to train for either trade. DH is employed, so would have to do it round work, looked into google and found loads of sites, not sure if you get any real training or a con.
anyone know approx how much will it cost. DH has an interest in both areas, and would like a change of job, but seems lots of jobs require this and that skills. have a mortgage too, so money is tight, but thinking it probably costs money to make money hey?

regards melie3

Comments

• John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    No problem just go to your Local FE college and ask. If not that then possibly connections or similar. Or ring a local firm and ask them for advice.
    The measure of love is love without measure
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Options
    My hubby did an electricians course to become Part 6 qualified, it cost £1000 & the books cost about £60. It was a weeks course & then he had to have 2 sites inspected at £500 per inspection, then there is a yearly cost too, though I can't remember the cost of this.
    There is a catch 22 in this, you can't get a job unless you have the qualification & you can't get the qualification with out the jobs. This isn't explained to you before you do the course, there were 10 people on hubbys course, 4 of them had wasted their money. Another point to consider is that hubby was told he had to collect the inspector from the college & that the drive to the site was included in the test, when hubby explained that he doesn't drive, the inspector told him he couldn't pass the test. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Hubby was unable to take the test because the house he wired up was condemned as the floor joists were not to spec & the whole place was pulled down. We couldn't afford to buy the stuff to wire a 2nd project.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • melie3
    melie3 Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    My hubby did an electricians course to become Part 6 qualified, it cost £1000 & the books cost about £60. It was a weeks course & then he had to have 2 sites inspected at £500 per inspection, then there is a yearly cost too, though I can't remember the cost of this.
    There is a catch 22 in this, you can't get a job unless you have the qualification & you can't get the qualification with out the jobs. This isn't explained to you before you do the course, there were 10 people on hubbys course, 4 of them had wasted their money. Another point to consider is that hubby was told he had to collect the inspector from the college & that the drive to the site was included in the test, when hubby explained that he doesn't drive, the inspector told him he couldn't pass the test. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. Hubby was unable to take the test because the house he wired up was condemned as the floor joists were not to spec & the whole place was pulled down. We couldn't afford to buy the stuff to wire a 2nd project.

thanks for that hardup,
    feel sorry for your hubby though. we couldnt afford to just throw the money away. hubby has no real qualifications, has been in the same company since he was 18, and is now 36 and wants to leave, but doesnt have a clue what to do. then there is the pay, seems most jobs hang around the £7 mark for unskilled. not enough for us to live on. i value your advice though thankyou x
  • tux130582
    tux130582 Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try JTLIMITED, for an adult apprenticeship, also, clarkson and evans, citb FOR PLUMBING, i got an apprenticeship at 21 now fnished and a qualified electrician! :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure