Booked a VW Camper Van, West coast Scotland tips pls

in Scotland
31 replies 7.9K views

Replies

• amanda40amanda40 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Can second Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh - (Eilean Donan castle) Take the bridge to Skye. If you travel forther up there are gorgeous deserted beaches - dont let the midges put you off though well worth seeing. If you head up the West coast road to Ullupool then could head home the A9 - plenty of places to camp off there too and again stunning scenenery!!
    No Longer addicted to Boots! - Well not today anyway!! :blushing:

Officially Mortgage free 31/07/2017 , 12 years early :j
  • weegie_2weegie_2 Forumite
    311 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    suggest ullapool then onwards to lochinver...check out achmelvich beach and clachtoll beach.

Lovely!
  • ellermanellerman Forumite
    13 Posts
    We have done this trip, as well as others. The road from Inverness to John O groats is winding and slow, it is not as picturesque as the west coast, and the road really becomes beautiful after Thurso on the north coast. We travelled from Thurso along towards Durness, many beautiful scenes and mountains and beaches. I liked Slago Beach, near Tongue. Durness is also super with a great arts and crafts centre in an old military station, complete with super bookshop and coffee shop. The road to Lochinver is superb with each corner better than the last. We loved Achmelvich althoug the camp site is busy. XCamping at large is okay with permission, but campsites are actually very cheap £10-£20 per night. Others mention Arisaig and Morar whihc is west of Fort William.

We also enjoy the Knapdale area, heading for Lochgilphead and turning south to a small B road to Kilberry and then onto Kintyre. This is less busy but just as nice, thought the landscape is not as dramatic.

Hope you have a great trip....its really worth it.

Lesley
  • carriebradshawcarriebradshaw Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    cazziebo wrote: »
    You could go up the A82, through Bridge of Orchy, Glencoe, through Fort william, take the road to the isles. Stop off in Arisaig and Morar and then get the ferry across to Skye. Drive through Skye and take the bridge to Lochalsh. You can then go further North or head back to Inverness. I'd really recommend Ullapool and Gairloch though. The North coast is stunning but the drive will take longer than sat nav tells you. Single track roads, sheep, caravans all slow the journey down. If you do go North Durness is one of the most beautiful places on earth - gorgeous beach.

One tip would be fill up with petrol whenever you are in a town because petrol prices in the North of Scotland are scary. And midge repellant...! Lots of it!

Gairloch is lovely but on a Sunday you won't get petrol so make sure you have plenty
  • MenstrieBenMenstrieBen Forumite
    106 Posts
    a cross post from the other thread thoug i see the midges have been well covered on this one ;-)

"I'd also get hold of some avon "skin so soft"

its great for keeping the midges off which can be bad at this time of year!

take your time and enjoy!

Sandwood bay (far north west of the mainland) is a shortish walk from the nearest road with a fantastic sandy beach.
    the area north of ullapool has some fatastic mountain scenery.

i'd also reccomend looking at the calmac webpage. some of their rover ferry tickets offer good value for combining a series of ferry crossings to tour the islands.

have fun"
  • NickyBoyNickyBoy Forumite
    58 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Go to Applecross!

The road over the top is one of the best (the pass of the cattle), and the campsite is great too!
  • TigsteroonieTigsteroonie Forumite
    24.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. We do sell midge repellant and anti-histamine up here, you don't need to bring a whole van-full with you, just enough to get you started! :D
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • cazziebocazziebo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    NickyBoy wrote: »
    Go to Applecross!

The road over the top is one of the best (the pass of the cattle), and the campsite is great too!

oh no! :eek:

I did that one last year and almost had a panic attack on the way up! Had to stop at the top to get my heart rate down - it's not for the fainthearted at all. It is stunning - and Applecross is worth it when you get there. There is the most fab restaurant (Applecross Inn?) which looks over the bay. The other road out is much easier.

So if you're an adrenalin junkie - go for it! (I'm not doing it again!)
  • mikki2dmikki2d Forumite
    153 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    If you get to Lochinver be sure to pop in to the Lochinver Larder for a gourmet pie. You can also use showers at the Fishermans Mission there during the week. However, there are basic campsites at both Achmelvich and Clachtoll where there are wash facilities. Achmelvich also has a wee chip shop.
    Ullapool is a bit tartan and shortbread for my taste but the Caledonian Hotel has a fab restaurant. Huge portions.
    Suggest Arran or Skye as Island visits. The beauty of Skye is that you can drive ther eover the bridge and don't need to get the boat.
    Midge repellent and a rain jacket are imperative.
  • mikki2dmikki2d Forumite
    153 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    Just noticed your holiday date. I am going to Lochinver for a week on 26 July so will look out for a bright yellow campervan.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides