SA form help please-Ending Business

Options
I am a sole trader "one man/woman band" my year ending date is 31st December. In my last year of trading I traded up until the end of June 2003 which was included in my accounts to 31st December 2003. The results of which was included in last years (2003/2004) SA return.

At the time I ceased to trade I was unsure whether I wanted to return to the business. I continued to pay my self employed NI contributons so that I could start again should I choose to do so. I added words to this affect in the additional information box on my 2003/2004 return.

Since June 2003 I have not returned to the self employment and have now made my mind up that I will not be returning to it.

My query is that I do not know what date to put on my tax form as being the date I gave up self employment? Was it the last day I worked in June 2003, 31st December 2003 or an approximate date some time this year when I sat down and said "OK I'm not going back to it"?

I am aware that maybe one date may be more beneficial than another as I understand that there will be a balancing charge or allowance with regard to the value of the fixed assets at the close of business.

I have the shortened version of the tax form this year.

In previous years I employed an accountant to do my accounts and tax return but being a typical money saver I did not want to pay an expensive fee for what should be a bit of simple form filling. That's assuming someone here can help.

Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure