PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Adventures in Homebrewland (image heavy - you have been warned!)

Options

Comments

• r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 638 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    I posted a recipe for elderflower chamagne here. You MUST store it in plastic bottles. Don't use glass because it has a tendency to explode!

Can anyone tell me if I HAVE to use a fermenting bucket, or whether I can use the 5L plastic bottles instead?
  • shandypants5
    shandypants5 Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone tell me if I HAVE to use a fermenting bucket, or whether I can use the 5L plastic bottles instead?

As long as its food safe plastic you can use what you like.

Just be aware that when you make wine it tends to foam up about 3 inches at the start of fermentation so you need room in your container for the foam or it will overflow and make a mess.
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • r.a.i.n.b.o.w
    r.a.i.n.b.o.w Posts: 638 Forumite
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Just opened one of the bottles of elderflower champagne that we made this year and it's slightly vinegary. Opened all the other bottles and they're all the same, although some a bit more vinegar than others. :mad:

I was really looking forward to having some. :(

What could have caused this? I'm going to make some soon and would hate my first attempt to fail :(
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    Options
    I made two batches of elderflower champagne last year. The first one was fine but the second turned to vinegar before I could bottle it and I had to chuck it. I think if you look on the internet you can find out proper reasons why but my own guesses were that I left it a little too long before I bottled it and the weather was very hot at that time and the general temperature may have been too hot.
  • missychrissy
    missychrissy Posts: 741 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been making wine for several years and have discovered that if I start a brew in the warmer months it takes a fraction of the time to complete fermentation than anything brewed during winter.

I bought myself a juicer last autumn and I can apply the same recipe that I use for cartons of fruit juice to producing my own juice at a fraction of the price.
  • Flee_2
    Flee_2 Posts: 770 Forumite
    Options
    Wow what a good post. Am very tempted to make the cider. Going to hunt down demi johns and equipment and give it a go.
    Halifax CC £1029/£2490, Tesco CC [STRIKE]£0/£3203[/STRIKE], Tesco loan £15431/£15808, Carloan1 £6743/£8241, Carloan2[STRIKE] £0/£3813[/STRIKE]

Pay all your debt off by Xmas 18 =22% £6661/£29865
  • kittiej
    kittiej Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just started some cider using apple juice from Mr T's. I used 2 of the 4 cartons and some strong black tea, yeast nutrient, yeast and 100g sugar to start it off. Bubbling was slow so I moved the D-J to the bedroom and it's bubbling away nicely.

Today I started pear wine, 3 tins of pears, 200g sugar bung it all in a pan syrup as well, bring to the boil and mash with a potato masher. I put 2pts cold water in the D-J then put the pear mash into it and added ther yeast which I had in warm water and topped up to the shoulder of the D-J with cold water. This is starting to bubble away as well.

I'm going to make rhubarb wine next just to see..
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts."It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Inspired by this thread, the OH and I came back from Wilkinsons today with a 6 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon kit, which is now hopefully fermenting away. The OH used to brew beer on a semi industrial scale, but we are starting small unti we can get another shed in the garden!

Just wanted to check a few things with the experienced home brewers:

The OH used to use Chempro SDP for sterilisation, but I can't find it online any more. Are baby sterlising tablets what everyone else uses now?
    Also are fizzy water bottles OK to use for bottling wine, or does it have to be pop bottles?

Hope someone can answer these questions, can't wait to try the recipes on here!
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • Tubbss
    Tubbss Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi,

The online brewing company have a special offer on at the moment on homebrew kits - lager, bitter and stout - 1 can kait for £4.95 or 4 cans for £16 - buy today and get delivery for £1. You will need brewing equipment, but £16 for 4 cans is a real bargain, the cans are normally £9 - £12 each, and each can will make 40 pints!

http://www.the-online-homebrew-compa...p?cPath=82_615

enjoy
  • Tubbss
    Tubbss Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Wilkinson sell Young steriliser in their homebrew section which is very good, any bottle will be OK for bottling wine once it has fermented - just remember to keep it in the dark! Ask friends / familiy to save empties for you. Wash pff the labels and design your own on PC - your "own brand" wine will make a great gift! Once you get into brewing your hooked - I can recommend the Solomon Grundy wine kits - you can get a 30 bottle kit for less than £22 and these only taje a week to make - ideal for a party or barbeque
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure