Ingrown toenail.

Options
How can you tell if you have an ingrown toenail?
What does it look like?

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The area around the nail feels painful and will look inflamed (red and warm to touch). Go to your GP for a proper diagnosis.

Pink
  • Mr_Skint_2
    Mr_Skint_2 Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yeah I had one of them, The GP said he wanted to send me in
    for it to be pulled completely out, I said no way man, So I soaked my toe
    in warm salt water for 15mins a day, and carefully trimmed the nail
    and didnt cut it too short as that was my problem in the first place
    and Hey Presto 6weeks later as good as new.

Just found this http://www.foot.com/info/cond_ingrown_toenails.jsp
  • homersimpson_3
    Options
    the sides of the toe are inflamed (red and usually bigger) and it hurts around the toe. the nail is basically digging into your flesh. usually (though not always) caused
    by cutting toes nails incorrectly. you need to go to gp for diagnosis. operation doesn't hurt- done under local anaethestic. usually takes several weeks to recover. toe bandaged up and you have to replace dressing. keep off toe as much as possible during recovery period. after operation toe is sore but ok. usually have no problems after recovery.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    I get the same symptoms but to a lesser degree. Usually when I've cut my nails straight across and the sharp edge digs into my skin (doesn't actually pierce the skin). The toe goes red and is painfull and swollen until I brace myself and cut the sharp bit off.

Obviously if you leave it the nail will continue to grow into the skin and then it's a GP job. Best to catch it early rather than leave it.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Twinkle_Mitchell
    Options
    Hi!
    Where the nail intrudes into the skin as said before will be red and swollen. May also be some discharge (pus!) from the area. It is very tender - very sore indeed.
    Go to doctor anyway, if the toe becomes infected (which quite easily happens in the feet) you may need a short course of antibiotics.
    Dr/state registered Podiatrist can remove the offending peice of nail (not necessarily the whole nail) very quickly under local anaesthetic if required.
    Don't attempt to poke or dig around yourself, you may make it worse - not better!
    Salt water (as mentioned before) is good for keeping the area clean. Warm water with as much salt as will dissolve in the water and soak feet.
    Its easily sorted out so don't put up with any pain unnecessarily!
    Hope this helps,
    Twinkle
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's not yet infected, a chiropodist or podiatrist may be able to sort it out for you. Once the pus is oozing out, they might not want to touch it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    as mentioned, sid eof toe is red and inflamed, and sore to touch, warm salty water should help reduce inflammation, definately dont dig around..

i had my big toe on my right foot done about 20 years ago,
    my left big toe had a bad dose and ended with a nasty infection4 months ago, now toe is sore all the time. down to have the sides cut out at the local hospital in 3 weeks time,
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • susiesue_2
    Options
    if you dont want to pay to see a chiropodist look up were the nearest college is who train the students, https://www.feetforlife.org there will be a charge but not much. they can treat any foot condition under supervision thankfully.
    susiesue
    Julius Caesar, and the roman empire, couldn't conquer the blue sky
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family