Question about dying hair

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but I wasn't sure where to place it.

I normally use Clairol Nice n Easy hair colour, the one that washes out after 8 washes.

I do have a bit of grey but I'm not really brave enough to do a permanent myself.

I used to have it coloured at the hairdressers but as they are charging about £40 a pop and I would need it doing about once every 6 weeks I just can't afford that on the one wage.

Anyway, I went to get some Nice n Easy from Tesco but it seems they only do the one that lasts longer now where you have to use two seperate bottles of stuff.

So, I picked up a sachet of Wella Shaders and Toners which washes out after a few washes to use until I could get into town to get some more Nice n Easy stuff.

Yesterday whilst walking around town, my husband and daughter said that my hair was purple!

It looked ok indoors but in the sunlight what where the grey bits do look a kind of light purple - not quite the blue rinse brigade but not far off it!

Help!

I have washed it twice since I used the Toner.

Should I wash it a few more times or just go and buy some Nice n Easy?

The Nice n Easy doesn't cover grey permanently but it does for a short spell if you put it on the grey bits first and leave for a bit longer.

I hope I can correct this myself as I can't afford to go to the hairdressers and it would be a bit embarrassing.

:o

Comments

• pamaris
    pamaris Posts: 441 Forumite
    Options
    Hi... You can get rid of the purple by washing your hair in Fairy Liquid (or generic equivalent), or Prell (if they have that in the UK- I'm American), or similar clarifying shampoo. Definitely get that purple out first.

Garnier Nutrisse is actually supposed to be great at covering grey- I've used it many, many times- I don't have grey but I can vouch for the product. It is permanent.

Hope this helps.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sb44,

I've moved your thread over to the Health and Beauty board where you should get more replies.

If you search on that board there are quite a few threads on removing hair dye that should help.

Pink
  • searching_me
    searching_me Posts: 18,414 Forumite
    Options
    dont be embrassed i dye my hair once and it didnt go with blonde and sent my hair bright pink so dont worry ... i say wash your hair till its an clear as you gonna get it then dye over i use permanent all the time and ive used semi but it dont stick to my hair (im naturally blonde but im dark brown at the mo until i get bored :rotfl: ) but the hairdresser rip you off... also some hairdresser sometime let you buy the dye eg your nice and easy and you just pay alittle for them to apply it... my old local one use to...its worth asking save you a few bob xxx
    :)Still searching .....:)
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks folks, off to wash it in Fairy liguid and off to buy some Nice n Easy.

Doh!

Never again.

:)

Sharon
  • angel
    angel Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Options
    I use Garnier Nutrisse too. I only have a few grey hairs but this covers them easily and even though I have very thick hair is easy to apply.

Oh, and it leaves my hair in wonderful condition too!
    :smileyhea "here, hare, here" :smileyhea
  • poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    i use garnier natrise and have ssome grey hair and it covers them great
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All permanent colours are two bottles. Its dead easy, you just tip the brown bottle into the bottle with the nozzle, shake well and away you go.

Do be afraid to colour your own hair. Just buy a shade as close to yours as you can (till you gain confidence) and just shampoo it in.

If when it starts to grow out your roots show as a noticable grey, then next time you colour buy a tinting brush from superdrug and do the roots first, then shampooing the rest in (means the roots gets a good coverage to cover the grey but the rest of your hair only takes a lighter one so you dont get that solid block colour effect)
  • bringmeshoes
    bringmeshoes Posts: 2,792 Forumite
    Options
    you could always leave it purple, it may look really good :D
    p.s i would think before taking hair advice form me tho as i have pink hair and its through choice:D
    The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about - Oscar Wilde:beer:
    Big sister to Hayley11 and Before Hollywood and adopted daughter of Vikingero
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure