UK Pension my living in Spain

Options
Hi

My mother in law lived in the UK for 25 years and paid into government pension scheme through pay etc. She is now 62 and living in Spain. She is Spanish and originally from Madrid but married a UK resident.

Is she entitled to state pension and how do i start the ball rolling for her?

Many thanks

Sarah

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would imagine that if she has paid into the UK system she will be entitled to some UK State Pension.

However, to get the full State Pension, she must have paid in (for someone her age ) for 39 years.

If she is married to someone entitled to a full UK State Pension, she may be better off claiming 60% based on his contributions (although 25 years is about 60% anyway). However, she won't be able to get this until the person reaches State Retirement age.

If she is widowed or divorced and her husband would be entitled to a British State Pension, she can claim 100% based on his contributions.

These last two apply to British Citizens; I am assuming that as she was married to a British Citizen it will apply to her, but I am not sure about this.

More advice in the following link:

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/atoz/atozdetailed/retirement.asp

If she is entitled to any pension, living in Spain is not a problem as you can claim it wherever you live in the world.

Hope this helps.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • SAZZLEEVANS
    SAZZLEEVANS Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,

She is divorced from a UK citizen. I will have to take a look at the link and see where i go now. It would be great if she can get something.

Sarah
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Can you keep us updated? As it would be useful information to know.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    If she worked, she may well be entitled to a decent dollop of S2P/Serps as well, there are 2 state pensions. Call up the Pensions Service and ask.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport