Tesco Opticians

Options
Back in December I went to Tesco Opticians to try contact lenses for the first time, because I was going on a skiing holiday so it was easier to wear ski goggles. I had a voucher for a free eye test, and then paid £10 for a contact lens fitting, and had a free trial pair. Went back saying they were great, and paid about £50 for 3 month supply of contact lenses which they ordered for me to be delivered to my home address.

I went on the ski trip, had a great time, sadly ripped on of the lenses on the last but one day though and the 3 month supply hadn't arrived before I went away so didn't have any spares.

When I got back the lenses still hadn't arrived, I rang about them and they said they were on the way. Now with one thing and another, they got forgotten about. They never did arrive.

Now it's 6 months later, summer and I'm thinking I'd like to wear normal sunglasses so thought I'd get some contacts again. I rang Tesco Opticians, and thought that since it had been 6 months since the undelivered lenses that it was my fault for not chasing them up so didn't even mention it, just asked for a repeat order. I've been told I have to attend for a contact lens after-care appointment as it has been 6 months since I got lenses......they won't order any lenses for me otherwise, they refuse to hand out my prescription to go elsewhere (they said even if they did the other supplier would only ring them and find out that I had to have an after-care appointment and say the same thing). I pointed out that I never received the 3-month supply I ordered, and that I ripped the first pair after about 10 days, so I haven't been wearing contact lenses at all and is there really any point in paying and taking up my time attending a follow-up appointment, but they refuse to budge.

Are they right??? What else can I do??? I know it's only £10 for another appointment, but still, as far as I see it they owe me 3 pairs of lenses and now they want more money from me - although I admit it is a bit my fault for not continuing to chase them about the lenses the first time around, but life got in the way and I'd forgotten until now.

Comments

• nedmundo
    nedmundo Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you're stuck between the ocean and the deep blue sea. Tescos records may show that the lenses were despatched. Therefore, all they have to go on is your word that you haven't received them or worn them . The initial specification was probably written out for 6 months and it would be against the law to supply any further lenses until you have had an aftercare.

I think that unless you expect Tescos to break the law, you have no option but to have another aftercare appointment. They are just following the correct procedures so it's not really their fault.
    Beware the character seeking personal gain masquerading as a moral crusader.
    :beer:
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Yep I agree, it,s a bummer but you just have to put it down to experience.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • badmumof1
    badmumof1 Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Options
    tescos are crap
    i had my eyes tested end of october and got my glasses beginning of december.
    i cant wear the reactions pair i paid extra for and i have been back and forth about it
    eventually i had my eyes tested again by them and my script had changed, get this my eyes have got better,
    but they wont budge and pay for my reaction.
    I have emailed their headoffice a week and half ago and have had no reply from them.
    to say im annoyed is the understatement GRRRRRR
    If You See Someone Without A Smile......
    Give Them One Of Yours
  • EmmaJ_3
    EmmaJ_3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Well slight update, they're still holding firm and I'm going for an appointment today (I missed one on Saturday when I got stuck with an emergency at work, I really am the worst customer ever!)

They said there's nothing at all on their computer about the first lenses at the moment, but said they'll try and sort things out when I go in.

Fingers crossed!
  • EmmaJ_3
    EmmaJ_3 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Well just got back from the appointment and have to say very impressed, excellent customer service once I got there!

I only had a quick checkup today rather than a full contact lens aftercare checkup, which she didn't charge for, they've given me a set of lenses to take home today, again not charged for, and have reordered me another 3 months supply to replace the ones that never showed up. She said I'll need another checkup in 6 months and then after that just yearly.

So I'm a happy bunny now, and will be going out this afternoon wearing contacts to go and buy some sunnies!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure