Endowments stick, sell or make paid up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Allimann
    Allimann Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I see! Looks like I'll have to call him again. Well, as far as I can tell NU quoted me as if it was our policies maturing this year. That's assuming I'm asking the right questions. How does one know if we have good or bad NU policies? BTW what is a mortage promise value? Also what about the Pru? Are they a 'dump'?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,602 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How does one know if we have good or bad NU policies

By analysing the data available. Its not hard to make a judgement call once you look at all the data.
    BTW what is a mortage promise value?

In 2001 (and altered to cap the value in 2004) NU set a promise value that would pay out if the endowment fell short. It was based on your middle band shortfall figure in 2001.
    Also what about the Pru? Are they a 'dump'?

Pru have a 98.2% success rate currently on their endowment maturities. Even in the worst years it only dropped to 94%. They are one of the best providers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Allimann
    Options
    Thanks re Pru, that's comforting and I cannot make this policy paid up anyway. Any idea what the NU success rate is? Also please would you list the data you think I need collate to help me make a judgement on my two NU endowments.
  • Trillionaire
    Trillionaire Posts: 372 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. I'm no expert but I also have a NU endowment. If you google Norwich Union and 'surplus' you will see that there is something going on about some billion dollar surplus that they have. There is also some talk about making extra bonus payments to policy holders if the policy does not mature within 3 years; plus some other payment may be made if we give up our right to other accrued surpluses in the future.

Sorry I'm not too clear but please just check it out before getting rid off your NU policies.
    :j I hope my comment helps :T
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    You need to update the maturity projections (which include the terminal bonus) as the markets have been very volatile this year..

The extra bonuses only apply to policies which were formerly CU, GA or CGNU policies.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Allimann
    Options
    Getting this sorted. apparently if made paid up the guaranteed amount payable sums are £31.185.55 and £9,961.00. But these are both less than the current surrender value! Can anyone shed light on why is that should be the case?
  • Allimann
    Options
    Anyone??

BTW Am still awaiting new maturity projections.
  • StefanRH
    Options
    In 2000/1 I got surrender values for 2 endowments- approx £16,000
    Brokers offered approx £24,000 but agreed with terminal bonuses(sky high at the time) on maturity-April 2006- I'd get over £40,000 so I held on to them.
    The FTSE dived, funds crumbled and with them terminal bonuses and in 2006 I received £24,300 effectively losing 5 years interest, it could have been the other way round but no-one has a crystal ball
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure