PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

sweetcorn in the oven?

Options
Hiya, I am planning on cooking ribsand chicken nigella style tom evening when a friend comes round. We are also going to have roasted spuds and corn on the cob, but I dont really want to have to use the hob as well as the oven (its electric and seems to eat the electricty despite being A rated when I bought it 2 years ago)
Can I stick the corn in a baking dish with a bit of water and cover with foil and cook in the oven with the rest of the stuff?
thanks

Comments

• Boudica
    Boudica Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Hotcookie

I put sweetcorn into little foil parcels with salt, pepper butter and a little water. It needs to be cooked separately as the kernals will burn and go crunchy if they're not covered up.

Hope this helps......your meal sounds lovely and yummy
    Lightbulb moment 2/1/07
    First Direct £2500 loan
    John Lewis £200 (card not used since July 2005)
    HFC £350
    Co-Op £5000 (car loan - disabled so needed new wheels as previous car is now scrapped)
    Total debt £8050

DFW by 2010
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi hotcookie,

As long as the corn is covered and sealed tightly with the foil then it will steam and be just as good as if it were cooked on the hob.

Pink
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how long do you reckon i should cook them for? usually i bbq for about 15-20mins in total, is that too long in the oven?
  • jessbrown100
    jessbrown100 Posts: 891 Forumite
    Options
    These all sound really nice- might try it rather than boiling them next time :D
  • jessbrown100
    Options
    btw, what does Nigella do to ribs and chicken?
  • Boudica
    Boudica Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    how long do you reckon i should cook them for? usually i bbq for about 15-20mins in total, is that too long in the oven?

It depends on the thickness of the sweetcorn stem. I usually put thim in for around 40 mins...but you can check after half an hour.

You can also put a little cumin into the foil bags too....it makes a nice change
    Lightbulb moment 2/1/07
    First Direct £2500 loan
    John Lewis £200 (card not used since July 2005)
    HFC £350
    Co-Op £5000 (car loan - disabled so needed new wheels as previous car is now scrapped)
    Total debt £8050

DFW by 2010
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Chilli&Lime butter then cover them in tinfoil, 30-40 mins in a preheated oven. Yummy:D
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    btw, what does Nigella do to ribs and chicken?

Oh it looks very tasty-from the express book, is on bbc website-they are marinaded with apple juice, maple syrup oil soy sauce, garlic, star anise and cinammon. have been sitting in fridge in freezer bag since yesterday am, all I have to do when I get home from work is empty them into roasting tin and roast for hour or so. haven't cooked them before but I can't imagine ribs and chicken being nasty! Fingers crossed
    Thanks for all advice re sweetcorn :beer:
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a video of the chicken and ribs recipe here :)
  • jessbrown100
    Options
    ohhhh! am having curry for tea but now I want ribs, chicken and sweetcorn!! bloomin' meal planning!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport