PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone make their own Tea Towels?

Options
Hi

It might be a weird question, but I get fed up of stained old tea towels and would love an economical way of making my own fresh supply. I wondered if there was a tea towel-ish type of material I could buy by the metre that I could cut up and machine the edges to make my own, and if anyone already does this?

I could potentially save some money and then give me a regular nice clean supply of new tea towels. I really loath to spend alot of money on them.

Thanks
Steph x

Comments

• ela
    ela Posts: 54 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Buy some good quality ones, I machine wash my tea towels daily, although they dont get a lot of hammer because of the dishwasher, I dyed them recently because I was bored of them, and still cant justify throwing them away because they are fine after 22 years of use. :-)
    Dec, Nokia E71 | Mar, Senseo CM |
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    Options
    I'd love to make my own cheaply too, I've bought cheap one's and expensive but they all end up stained no matter how I wash them. The problem in my house is people tend to wipe their hands on them or use them to wipe the worktops! :rolleyes:
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • StressedSteph
    StressedSteph Posts: 2,834 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just wondered if there was anywhere that sold that material by the metre. I am sure it would work out cheaper. If it was something like £5 per metre you could make quite a few out of a metre length.

I must admit I have never invested in the expensive ones, too scared cause I know our family destroys ours on a regular basis. Like you AngUK our tea towels get used for EVERYTHING, from wiping food covered faces to wiping up mess on the table etc. :rolleyes:

I have always bought the cheap terry type checked tea towels, never the cotton ones, maybe they last better.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I Googled "linen for tea towels" and came up with lots of addresses in India, where it seems that probably the bulk of the made-up tea towels s now come from, so I wonder if you have any Asian/Indian material stores in your area. Possibly worth checking with them to see if they have any suitable material in stock.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [quote=anguk;11205491._The_problem_in_my_house_is_people_tend_to_wipe_their_hands_on_them_or_use_them_to_wipe_the_worktops!_:rolleyes:[/quote]

or use them to clean up the filthy barbeque...then leave them lying on the ground in the garden...grrr!! :mad:
    weaving through the chaos...
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    i recommend using nappisan to presoak them before washing. my mum does this on anything badly stained and they always come out sparkly!
    i think it has a very mild bleaching agent in it as it's original use was for cleaning reusable nappies
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    How about using really old towels that are no longer good enough for the bath.

Just one big one can be cut into many and hemmed, and are plenty absorbant as we know. :D
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    Have you any old sheets (preferably cotton ones) Most of my tea towels and my mothers are sheets which had holes in them.

Alternatively, if you have to buy material look for cotton sheeting fents or off-cuts from places like Dunelm or markets.
  • jak
    jak Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ours always end up filthy and stained too, even tho I wash them on a regular basis. I wonder which are the best material to get? To make your own OR to buy?
    2022 Comp total (prizes + free spins): £494.81 #20 £12 a day Jan: £382.95/£372 #57 360 1p challenge: £17.70 £10 a day Feb: £571.09/£280 March: £311.96/£310
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    I have tried loads of cheap brand tea towels but I have had these from Ikea for 8 months and they come up looking like new every time.
    http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70069637
    Only £1.29 for 4!
    [URL="javascript:popLargeImageWindow('en_GB','colour:','','Size','IKEA FAMILY member price', 'close window');"]36884_PE128154_S3.jpg[/URL]
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure