PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vanilla Extract / Essence / Flavouring

Options
What is the difference ?, apart from price, and is there anything in particular where I would need to use one over the other ???

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Extract is stronger, so you use less.

x
  • Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Vanilla extract is *usually* the most expensive, and is made from real vanilla and has the best flavour, IMO. Essences and flavourings usually are much, much cheaper, and either contain very little in the way of vanilla or are sometimes made from chemical rather than natural flavourings. Personally I'd rather invest in a bottle of good vanilla extract, it lasts for ages and the flavour is so much nicer. You generally use much less too.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I bought a bottle of Madagascar Vanilla (from Lakeland, but it's widely available). Not cheap, but the smell is divine, and you only need a couple of drops.

NielsenMassey32ozVanilla.jpg

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • ifonlyitwaseasier
    Options
    extract has a more natural smell IMO, you can get small bottles for about 38p in MrT
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure