Can I "cash-in" my personal pension somehow ?

Options

Comments

• casterman
    Options
    Transfer to a New Zealand QROPS and take the lot out as cash - if you have been non-UK resident for at least 5 years. Fees/charges should work out at about 5% of the pot.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    Options
    casterman wrote: »
    Transfer to a New Zealand QROPS and take the lot out as cash - if you have been non-UK resident for at least 5 years. Fees/charges should work out at about 5% of the pot.

Yeah, brilliant suggestion for those who have left the UK and now live in NZ.

And, of course, you can't do that unless you are 55 in New Zealand, or is it 60? Certainly 60 in Australia.
  • casterman
    Options
    bendix wrote: »
    Yeah, brilliant suggestion for those who have left the UK and now live in NZ.

And, of course, you can't do that unless you are 55 in New Zealand, or is it 60? Certainly 60 in Australia.

You need to brush up on QROPS.

You do not need to be resident in the country where you decide to transfer to QROPS.

For non-NZ residents pensions can be drawn down from age 18
  • casterman
    Options

This is all well and good, but HMRC have no problems with NZ registered QROPS. These are advisers who are peeved they are losing out on substantial transfer business.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is all well and good, but HMRC have no problems with NZ registered QROPS. These are advisers who are peeved they are losing out on substantial transfer business.

I read it that they are trying to protect their business from the rather large numbers of dodgy individuals that transact in that area.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • casterman
    Options
    The fact of the matter is, at this particular moment, people can and do convert their transferred pensions into cash. It is not illegal but probably not too popular with HMRC. If they want to stamp this out they easily could with new legislation. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes
  • Cautious_Investor_3
    Options
    The fact of the matter is, at this particular moment, people can and do convert their transferred pensions into cash. It is not illegal but probably not too popular with HMRC. If they want to stamp this out they easily could with new legislation. The fact that they haven't speaks volumes

It probably just means that they don't think many people are doing it and they have easier targets.
  • Cautious_Investor_3
    Options

Was passing no comment, just thought people might be interested.
  • Loughton_Monkey
    Options
    My understanding is that this option is strictly only available to those who physically live abroad for 5 years or more. I thought I heard riblings about plans to 'fine' defaulters 55% more thoroughly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure