legal aid

Options
Ive just read something about legal aid not being free and in time youll have to pay this back. Quite worrying considering I have been in and out of court for the past 6 years. Adding all that up itll come to a fortune then im told ill have to repay it at some point. What is the court system actually about. Do they care about the kids? Or is it just a money making system.

Comments

• Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You are probably referring to the Statutory Charge.

Depending on the circumstances of your case, sometimes it's applicable and sometimes it's not.

Have a peep on the website, but your solicitor should have already gone through it with you.
  • enemes
    enemes Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My understanding is that if someone who has been awarded legal aid gains a capital sum through the courts ( ie sale of property, damages etc) then they have to pay back the legal aid costs from that sum. I think the first £1400 is untouchable, but anything above that goes back to the governement, pound for pound.
    :wave:
  • Sensemaya
    Sensemaya Posts: 1,739 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Enemes

I think up to 3K is untouchable, but the remainder to cover legal fees does have to be paid back PLUS interest.

This is annoying when arrears are interest FREE. Hardly gives the NRP incentive to pay arrears off quicker.
  • Troubled_Joe
    Troubled_Joe Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Your solicitor should have gone through this with you in great detail. Get in touch with them to confirm your position.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure