PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 4 - Need help

Options
I could really do with some help at the minute. I am expecting the worst with food prices, electricity costs and petrol costs all on the up, so I am looking to get myself in a much better position.

I live with my OH and 2 kids (Under 5) and we are really not very good with our money.

I am really trying to be more organised and am spending the day on the OS board trying to get some tips to help me meet the grocery budget I have given us of £200. It is currently way way more than this.

We are lucky in that we do have a good amount coming in each month, however, it does not feel like we ever have any spare money and if the prices all go up like people say they will, I am worried how we will cope.:mad:

I have posted my SOA on the DFW board to see if any one can help to reduce my bills and would be so grateful if anyone on here can help me with my monthly grocery spend.

I have been on and off this board for a couple of years now and have learnt a few really useful bits of information but now I feel like I really need to take this seriously and get us sorted.

I do menu plan but am looking for a bit of variation for things that I can cook and freeze for OH to feed the kids through the week (I get in after tea time).

I am very grateful for any help that you can give me and I look forward to becoming a more active member on here:T

Comments

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I started here in January I had no idea of how much I spent on food per month. I decided I would start at £200 and see how I got on. This is for me and DH, plus children DD18, who is veggie and DS who is nearly 15. Just about getting by.

To me it seems to be just as much about making sure that I don't throw any food away, as much as what I buy in the first place. I'm really trying hard not to shop between weekly shops to 'top up' as that can cost! I'm also trying to make sure that I only buy goods that we have a use for and within the next week or two. I found that I was inclined to buy things in case, or 'I'll just get another' which wasn't needed immediately, then I would end up borrowing from next month's allowance.

There were however some bargains that were too good to pass by.

I am posting on the not wasting food thread. This encourages me to check the fridge daiily to see what needs using up or freezing, or if anything has gone off. If the fridge is full of stuff that you can't use, you can't see what there is to use.

I found it helpful to make an inventory of the freezer, so that I wasn't buying things we already have, also using stuff in there first, as it doesn't keep for ever.

I know these are tips rather than meal suggestions, but I hope you'll find them useful.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi, I find stretching food further works well for my budget,yesterday I split a 500g pack of mince,half was added to a jar of pasta sauce(75p),I added a tin of toms (reduced to 10p)then I added a cup of soya mince(no one has ever noticed)this was all mixed into cooked pasta and placed into a baking dish and topped with grated cheese.This served 8 adults with salad and crusty rolls(reduced to 10p)

The other half of the mince was made into shepherds pie,I added soya mince again to bulk it out and I added carrots and onions that needed using up.

I also use smaller dinner plates.

I love my actifry.......well worth the money.No oven to heat up,so I am saving gas.
    you can cook chicken peices,oven chips,roast potatoes,sausages the list goes on and on,they cook in minutes.
    you only add a tbsp of oil to potatoes so they are a lot healthier

I buy lots of reduced food,this helps to keep me within my budget.
  • ravylesley
    ravylesley Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've cut my shopping bill by about half since joining this forum since Christmas and the best pieces of advice I took onboard were monthly online shopping for the basics and just a tiny weekly shop for the perishables.Also bulk out any meals that you can with lentils,pulses,oats or grated carrot and freeze the leftovers for another meal for another day.Its all right cooking from scratch every day but sometimes things go pear shape and having a selection of ready made meals in the freezer can be a godsend as you wont have to pay for a takeaway.

Lesleyxx
  • mjburton
    mjburton Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I bulk buy rice and pasta at Costco. I have just spent £11 on a 10kg sack of rice, the last sack lasted just over 2 yrs. Rice prices are apparently set to soar.
    I shopped with a list for the first time this week and am amazed at the difference it made. We spent half of the money we usually do.
    I put the back of an envelope on the kitchen counter all week for us to add on things as we thought of them. It was much shorter than I thought it would be as I'd been avoiding shopping to try to use up what we already had.

I will always take a list with me now!
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Another rice tip would be to go 'Value'. 10kg rice (Smartprice long-grain) at Asda costs £4.30. In 1 kg bags. We honestly don't notice a difference!

I use it in rice pudding too;)!

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • crockpot
    crockpot Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    My tip is CASH!

I have a `shopping purse` and draw out cash each week before I do the supermarket shop. I try to shop alone-know that may be hard with 2 under 5`s- i have been there. used to try and do it while they where at playgroup.

Try a meal plan, write a list and try to stick to it, do not even look at BOGOF at first ,unless already on your list, not always cheaper any way.

A find it easier to think 1 week at a time.

So when you are at supermarket, try Lidl,aldi,netto if you have one, armed with your list and be strong.Try only to buy what is on the list, i find it easier with cash as I can not pick up extras.

I also tell checkout at start, ` I only have £40 cash, so let me know if I get near` it easier and less embarasing than having to take stuff off at the end.

Good Luck
  • seven1969
    seven1969 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - family of 4 and our food bills tend to be about £400 a month which I'm trying to get down to about £250. I'm now keeping a spend diary but I'm only 2 weeks into it.

We took a trip to Costco and the bargains we got! :j We bought a load of mince, pork chops and chicken breasts - dead tasty but I don't think any of it is free range/organic but that's for the future. Saving money is the priority at the mo. Bread was dead cheap - 2 loaves for £1.55 and I don't eat 'cheap' bread, I like Warburtons etc but not at £1.11 a loaf. This bread was really soft and fresh. I know you can get the no frills stuff a lot cheaper but have you tasted it? I like good food and I don't want to cut back on quality. I had so much stuff I never went to the supermarket for a fortnight except to buy milk and fruit. Saved a ruddy fortune 'cos I always buy a book or a magazine when I go in, especially when you're in a for a wander.

I'll never have to buy the basics for months now, things like toiletries, pasta, squash, bread, cat food/litter. My garage is stuffed.

Anybody else use a Cash & Carry on a regular basis? And do you think it's worth it?
  • mjburton
    mjburton Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    Once you've got your shopping list go on the internet and have a look at madaboutbargains, you can then see which supermarkets close to you have which items on offer.

I love Costco. Its saved me a fortune. I get kirkland (ownbrand) shampoo + conditioner in giant bottles, meat, rice, pasta, oil, toilet rolls, binbags, nightwear, bottled fizzy water (30 bottles for £4, much cheaper than buying drinks at work) and all the washing powder/cleaning products etc.
    I go once every few months with a friend and come back with a car full.

Some of the meat seems a bit more expensive but it is very good quality. Would seriously recommend the Aberdeen Angus fillet steaks. Unbeatable.
  • domestic_goddess
    domestic_goddess Posts: 1,044 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, I really appreciate it and I feel that my aim of £200 per month spend is achievable.

Can anyone go to Costco? It sounds interesting and I would like to try it.

Thanks
    :beer:
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy the majority of my meat as costco. OK you will spend a great deal in one go but this can last us 4 months or more. Their minced steak is not loaded with fat, Aberdeen Angus beef is fab, boneless pork joints are tasty as is their lamb. Salmon is a steal compared to what you'd buy in supermarket. I buy chicken breasts that are a really good size (and don't shrink during cooking due to added water unlike the supermarket) - you can get between14-15 breasts for about £14. Their large boxes of washing powder are good, mine tends to last at least 5 months for a box of Daz, Persil for circa £16. Not everything is cheaper than the supermarket but somethings can be. The majority of the food oviously doesn't have VAT added but be sure to check prices for VAT as they show the price EXCLUDING Vat in larger print and with VAT in smaller print below. I have bought Tresemme (sp?) shampoo from there and it lasted well over a year for the massive bottle.
    the only downside to Costco is membership is limited. If you are a professional, work for the local council, police etc you are OK to join. We had membership via my H's work so you may want to find out if you can join before you visit. Annual membership is £25 and you are allowed to take 2 guests into the store although you would have to initially stump up for any purchases they make being the member.
    HTH
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport