Unit Linked With Profits Endowment advice needed

Options
Hi everyone. I'm after a bit of advice. I took out an endowment with a mortgage in 1992. We no longer have the house (or the mortgage) but we are left with the Unit Linked With Profits Endowment that we took out with it.
I have already claimed back some money from the advisors for miss-selling (thanks to this site) but we don't know what's best to do with the policy.
I could turn it in to Standard Life (the company it is with) for the £12000 - £13000 it's now worth, but I've been told that it's best to sell it.
But it seems that no-one wants these Unit Linked With Profits Endowment policies any more.

So the question is, does anyone still buy these policies, and if not, what else can I do with it apart from surrendering it?

Cheers

Vic
(Keep up the great work, now mortgage free and claiming back £££ from the credit companies - excellent!)

Comments

• Dick_here
    Dick_here Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't sell a unit linked policy. If someone wanted to buy units they'd pay the going rate - i.e. the surrender value - not an inflated price. It's common sense, really.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    HawkesFord wrote: »
    So the question is, does anyone still buy these policies, and if not, what else can I do with it apart from surrendering it?

No they don't.I suggest you surrender it and open a stocks and shares ISA each for the money, where you can invest it in the same way but pay lower charges and no tax.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,643 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is incorrect to assume that the charges will be lower or there will be less tax. Some endowments get rid of many of their charges in the early years but have very cheap and sometimes almost non existent charges in the later years. Some have increased allocations as well. There will be examples where switching to stocks and share ISAs is best but there will be examples when it isnt. There is no 100% rule.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure