Some mortgage brokers dont know who their friends are

1235»

Replies

• MortgageMammaMortgageMamma Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are far more than architects if you want to use that analogy.
    • We listen to what you need to "build" and tell you if thats feasible (planning officer)
    • find the most cost effective material (buyer)
    • tell you if you can afford it (accountant)
    • advise you of pros and cons of the "design" (builder)
    • Help you overcome unexpected obstacles (genious)
    • Soak up your stress fears and worries (samaritan)
    • Reassure you (counsellor)
    • Ensure that you protect it (guardian)
    • Oversee the construction (liasing with solicitor to completion!)
    • Call afterwards to check you moved ok and were happy with the service (gluttons for punishment)
    :rotfl: There is an element of humour in this of course, but its not too far from the truth!
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • MarkyMarkDMarkyMarkD Forumite
    9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that architect is a better simile.

And you won't get architects doing a full design for your new house for free - only paying if you choose to go ahead.

They might do you a rough sketch or an outline plan for free. But that's nothing like the effort of doing the full design.
  • melanchollymelancholly Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    We are far more than architects if you want to use that analogy.
    • We listen to what you need to "build" and tell you if thats feasible (planning officer)
    • find the most cost effective material (buyer)
    • tell you if you can afford it (accountant)
    • advise you of pros and cons of the "design" (builder)
    • Help you overcome unexpected obstacles (genious)
    • Soak up your stress fears and worries (samaritan)
    • Reassure you (counsellor)
    • Ensure that you protect it (guardian)
    • Oversee the construction (liasing with solicitor to completion!)
    • Call afterwards to check you moved ok and were happy with the service (gluttons for punishment)
    :rotfl: There is an element of humour in this of course, but its not too far from the truth!
    well that's a pretty fair old list!! makes a much more convincing arguement than the initial email sent by the anonymous mortgage advisor to martin! i'd sooner shop around and/or educate myself so that i wasn't entirely dependent on someone else's opinion (esp re. the 'reassure you' option!), but i've certainly rethought my opinions based on this thread! ta muchly!
    :happyhear
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good, I hope many others read it and see what a difference a good broker can make - you know how bad news always spreads faster than good news and thats the way it is with everything, people only ever talk about the negatives and take the positives for granted!

mm
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jinkssickjinkssick Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Martin should have just kept quiet. Its a waste of this great mans time to reply to idiotic emails.
    Save saynoto0870.com in your favorites, and stop giving companies more £££ dialling 0870 numbers when you can dial freephones or cheaper alternatives
    call your credit card company, tell them that you want to leave, 99% of the time theyll lower your APR%
    Remember when that Bank Manager or Salesperson smiles at you, all he sees is £ notes. Dont forget the motto, "the wider their grin, the more debt your in"
    9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed, I'm surprised he took it so seriously as to blog about it. Surely everyone (in his sort of public position) gets the odd e-mail from an idiot now and again?
    6.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    it was more than one email. he's had quite a lot of them. Personally I would feel compelled to respond to repeated personal attacks. Attacking someone on a personal level and burdening them with ill wishes is immature and hardly putting a valid arguement forward.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, I didn't realise that it was lots.

I have agreed from the start that the wording used was inappropriate and that the person shouldn't have said things the way that he did. But I can see why some brokers would feel the same about the wording Martin uses and the intent behind his comments as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides