Cancelling a car loan agreement??

lucycan
lucycan Posts: 18 Forumite
Hi there 1st post so be gentle!!
Does anyone know of my rights before l ring the car dealership and make a t*t of myself. We saw a car we liked at the weekend, salesman said the finance they offered was 6% - thought thats good :rolleyes: and a reasonable monthly payment over 5 years. My husband signed the hire purchase agreement today & showed me it - the APR is 14.7%! Had l read the section on MSE on car loans l would have realised that but.... The agreement is not very clear - can we cancel this now and arrange our own finance? I rang the dealership earlier and another guy told me he had already posted the signed agreement off - and was putting me off cancelling it. Can anyone help!!?

Thanks

Comments

• mightymouse
    mightymouse Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi

Where was the agreement signed?

Tomorrow send a recorded delivery letter to the lender (keep the receipt!) cancelling your application before they have chance to accept it.

This may work if you signed on garage premises otherwise there will be a cooling off period.
  • lucycan
    lucycan Posts: 18 Forumite
    Yes my hubby signed it in the garage - now l know why they wouldn't post the agreement out! - as l think we would have had better options to read through properly and cancelled if we wished..:mad: rather than a salesman breathing down your neck!
  • Freebyman
    Freebyman Posts: 591 Forumite
    I believe you have a seven day cooling off period. Also try ringing the credit company the car is financed with and tell them.
    Old Faithful we roam the range together,
    Old Faithful in any kind of weather,
    When the round up days are over,
    And the Boulevard’s white with clover,
    For you old faithful pal of mine.
  • Hi
    Can you cancel your credit agreement?
    • Signed on trade premises
      Credit agreements signed at the trader's premises are not cancellable once both you and the finance company have signed the documents. At this stage, they become legally binding on both parties.
    You may, however, have a very short window of opportunity to withdraw from the deal if the creditor has not yet signed their part of the agreement. In these circumstances, you should telephone the creditor immediately to establish whether the agreement has been signed. If not, inform the lender you wish to withdraw. Make a note of what was said and the name of the person you spoke to. You should then confirm your withdrawal in a letter. Send it by recorded delivery and keep a copy. Once you have withdrawn, you are entitled to a refund of any deposit you have paid. You should be aware that many retailers are entitled to sign credit agreements for, and on behalf of, the creditor and, therefore, you would not be able to withdraw as it would be binding when signed by the retailer.
    Hope this helps....
  • standupguy
    standupguy Posts: 904 Forumite
    I would contact the finance company by phone - if they have not signed their copy then the agreement is not in force anyway.

Inform them you have been mis-sold.

You were told a rate applied of 6% under the impression that this was the apr - but the actual APR is now well in excess of that.
    You were given a flat rate rather than an APR.

Tell the finance company you wish to make a formal complaint about this unless they unravel the agreement

They have to take your complaint very seriously under FSA rules.

I am sure all will be resolved

good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family