Adult Aprenticeships?

Options
At the age of 35 and having spent most of my working life in dead end jobs with no future i am looking to retrain, so far i have seen a few mentions in various forums about adult apprenticeships but not much detail on where i can find information about them :confused: has anyone here had any experience of them? or know where to find info about them?

thnx

Comments

• snoop2008
    snoop2008 Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    Hey depending on what you want to do, here is a site on engineering apprenticeships!! Most apprenticeships require you to find your own employer and then apply to the organisations for your field to provide training. check it out . Hope this helps.

http://www.tteltd.co.uk/adult-apprenticeships-training-uk.html
  • emsywoo123
    emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    www.traintogain.gov.uk

This is a good starting point.
  • richev
    richev Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    what do you want to do ?
    my dad is 44 and is on a gas corgi course at met uk
    the course cost him 7 grand and is over like 8 months
    But after it you can earn crazy money. its not easy though from the material i have seen and just from talking to him
  • sidthesexist
    sidthesexist Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Really i'm looking for something like bricklaying/plastering although i am willing to do something like plumbing ect as well. not really looking to do engineering tbh (did this when i left school and got bored stupid :o )
  • snoop2008
    snoop2008 Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    This is from the gov website. Dont know where you live but have a look

Opportunities for adults aged 25 plus

Apprenticeship opportunities for people aged 25 and over were introduced in August 2007.
    What’s available in your area will depend on the types of skills local businesses need from their workers. You’ll be able to apply whether you’re already in work or not.

Finding out more and making an application

To find out more about Apprenticeships, including how to apply, call the free national Apprenticeships helpline.
    • Apprenticeships helpline 08000 150 600
    You can also use the link below to get an Apprenticeship advisor to call you back - calls to UK landlines and mobiles are free.
    Alternatively, visit the Apprenticeships website. You can get further information and request an information pack.

Heres the link I copied it from

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/AdultLearning/TrainingAndWorkplaceLearning/DG_4001327
  • sidthesexist
    sidthesexist Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Great thnx for the help :j :beer:
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sid

Adult apprenticeships in construction are notoriously difficult to get into. CITB [ConstructionSkills] does provide grant for employers but very little in the way of recruitment support.

Train to Gain, which is government funding, is not available for apprenticeships; but is available to assist you in getting an NVQ. However, this is paid to a training provider on behalf of the employer and not an individual [unless you are self employed in construction]. So, if effectively become free training.

An NVQ does make up a fair portion of an apprenticeship, but you can't complete an NVQ if you aren't in work...

So you have options to get the job.

You could do an evening course in brick or C&J, and apply for jobs once you have some basics. This can be held at the local college.

You could get a job as a labourer, with the employer agreeing to put you through an NVQ via the craft non-apprenticeship route [that's citb talk for the employer getting grants for adults to do day-release to get their NVQ]. The employer will also be eligible for Train to Gain Funding, at which point they need to click on the train to gain website and get a broker to their premises to complete the paperwork to enable the funding to be paid on your behalf. Please note, that the provider that you go to needs to be a train to gain provider, so if you enrol on an NVQ, check beforehand that the funding is available.

You could contact your local ConstructionSkills Office and be generally nice turning to belligerent and make a huge fuss about why they aren't supporting adult apprenticeships, and see if any of their local advisers can find an opening for you.

You could apply to some of the larger national construction contractors, with a CV and telling them that you really want to get into construction. You can also do this to medium sized local companies; those who might be able to absorb the initial costs to see the long term benefits of training adults.

You could do some research in your region and find out which large contractors are running 'Construction Academies' in your area; within construction academy status is the directive to EMPLOY and TRAIN LOCAL PEOPLE; in capitals because this might be your best and quickest route into construction. I don't know what area you are in, but there are academies being set up all over the place so if you want to try this route then PM me and I'll see what I can do.

There is a company in Bedfordshire who run Adult Apprenticeships, and might be able to find you an employer. Link below.

http://www.carpentrymanagementcontracting.co.uk/AAPApplication.aspx

Alternately, apply to all local colleges; they are slowly coming round to the fact that actually, adult apprenticeships are a jolly good idea - but it is the support that you need to get a job that is the most difficult to find.

For info; I worked for ConstructionSkills in Management for 6 years, and was in civil engineering for 14 before that. I currently am Director for a company who advise construction employers on grants available; and do alot of work for some large employers indeed!

I hope that helps and good luck in your quest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure