Can you use 2 mortgages on one house?

Options
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to combine 2 mortgages on the one property? We have 2 mortgages at the moment on 2 properties, but we are looking to sell them both and would like to use both mortgages on a new property. Is this sort of thing possible? I know it's possible to 'port' a mortgage over to a new property, but I guess we want to port both our mortgages on to one new property.

Thanks for the advice

Comments

• Tiddler_2
    Tiddler_2 Posts: 537 Forumite
    Options
    If the mortgages you have are High Street lenders then the answer is "NO", the reason being that they want the 1st charge on your property (i.e if the property is repossessed and sold they get their money back first).

To be honest I don't know of any lenders who would do it but some of the more obscure lenders might (if they are still lending at all in the current climate)
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can get two separate mortgage with the same lender on the same house... Maybe it would be a possibility to move one of the mortgages to the lender of the other?

( I am not a mortgage adviser, but that is what I was told by Nationwide...)
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In practice, no.

If the reason you want to do it is because you are tied in on both of the existing mortgages, you will have to pay the ERC on the lower one and put up with it.

(Or possibly the higher one, if the other one is a better product to be on).
  • Fugitive
    Fugitive Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I've got 2/3 of my mortgage as a repayment and the other third as interest only from the same lender.

So yes, you can !
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Fugitive wrote: »
    I've got 2/3 of my mortgage as a repayment and the other third as interest only from the same lender.

So yes, you can !

That's not what the OP is wanting to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure