A tricky question regarding sick

Options
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a new job - as my current job is unworkable. However, I have had large periods of time off sick from it (about 50%) Now, when I started at the beginning of last year after a month or two my endometriosis came back - leading to lots of time off over about 6 months until I finally had a laparoscopy -which has cleared it for now. Under anaesthetic I had an asthma attack - and have had about 3 stays in hospital due to asthma since this.

I also suffer depression, and have had 7 weeks off already this year with it (this is triggered at the moment by work) add to that the fact i've picked up every tummy bug going - and colds (Which are worse for me cos they go straight to the chest - not good with asthma!) and it all adds up to a fair amount of time off.

Now - my question is how do I say this in an interview? For the most part - my asthma / endo are totally under control now - and it is just the depression part that's a problem - which shouldnt be if I am happy in a new job.

Obviously they're going to go to my current employer for a reference - so I need to say something to them before this - but the likelihood is they're going to take one look at me and say "no way" unless I can explain it properly - I just dont know how to go about doing so!

I hope this made sense - and thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    Options
    Why not: "I have had a few medical problems over the past 12m, the majority of which are under control but some are related to my current position, which is why I am seeking alternative employment". Then if they ask, you can elaborate a little, but without too much detail (some people may not know or want to know what endometriosis actually is :)).

Hope that helps!
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not stay in your current job for a little while longer so that when you start jobhunting you'll get a better reference and any prospective employers can see that your ill heath is behind you? Otherwise they've really only your word to go on.
  • Feline2001
    Feline2001 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you not stay in your current job for a little while longer so that when you start jobhunting you'll get a better reference and any prospective employers can see that your ill heath is behind you? Otherwise they've really only your word to go on.

Unfortunately the job I am currently in is making me really unhappy - and my depression worse - leading to time off, so is a catch 22 position! If I thought I could handle it and stay there for longer then yes I would - but I see my sick record increasing if I'm honest!
  • Feline2001
    Feline2001 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    floss2 wrote: »
    Why not: "I have had a few medical problems over the past 12m, the majority of which are under control but some are related to my current position, which is why I am seeking alternative employment". Then if they ask, you can elaborate a little, but without too much detail (some people may not know or want to know what endometriosis actually is :)).

Hope that helps!

Thank you - I shall try that tactic!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family