Two tooth bridge

Looking for some advice, I have an upper tooth which will require to be extracted which will leave me with a two tooth gap, I have one tooth at the back which should be able to support the bridge but my dentist says it is not possible to do a two tooth bridge. I think he does not want to do it as he is suggesting a denture for the gap, any suggestions re costs etc.

Comments

• mda99das
    mda99das Posts: 171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its very hard to comment on individual cases as they are just that.

A bridge might not be for everyone as the dentist has to consider if a bridge is appropriate at all.

The supporting teeth should be disease free in terms of the nerve supply, no decay. Also the supporting structures the (periodontium) should be assessed.

Root treated teeth are more brittle.

Xrays should always be taken prior to crown and bridge work, and in a tooth where the blood supply is intact there is a 20% chance the tooth could die off leading to root canal.

There are many different types of bridges
    eg conventional fixed fixed, resin bonded, cantilever, fixed movable, hybrid blah blah.

Then there are factors like the patient motivation to excellent oral hygiene, daily cleaning underneath the pontics etc etc

options are

bridge
    denture
    implants
    leave

with varying cost.

on the NHS you won't get a bridge as a denture would be more cost effective.
  • orzabal
    orzabal Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How much would a bridge be?
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    on the nhs a bridge and dentures both cost £198.00
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    orzabal wrote: »
    How much would a bridge be?

To replace2 teeth, you'd be looking at a 4 -5 unit bridge, including the supports, assuming it's a fairly conventional design, then probably around the 1000.00 to 1500.00 mark.

Might vary a bit depending on your dentist and where in the country you are.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Hi there

I had to have 1 tooth removed and my dentist said he would never use only one tooth to secure a bridge as it put too much pressure on that tooth when biting and would lead to the tooth becoming loose so he secured my bridge to 1 tooth on either side... I was told that the treatment wasn't available on the NHS .. so I paid £900 -which was a bit :eek: but he did show me a spare bridge, dropped it on the floor and stamped on it to show how strong it was. but i have to say that in the 4 years it has been in i have had no problems at all and the bridge covers my 2 front teeth, and they look better than my own ever did -so it was money well spent
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • mda99das wrote: »

Then there are factors like the patient motivation to excellent oral hygiene, daily cleaning underneath the pontics etc etc

I have a one tooth bridge at the back and its only attached to one tooth and I was not advised of any special cleaning I should be doing. How do I clean underneath the pontics (what ever they are :p )?

Sorry to hi jack OP.

KM x
  • Toothsmith
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Hi there

I had to have 1 tooth removed and my dentist said he would never use only one tooth to secure a bridge as it put too much pressure on that tooth when biting and would lead to the tooth becoming loose so he secured my bridge to 1 tooth on either side...

I would guess he's an 'older' dentist? And probably not been on many courses on the subject in the last 20 yrs!
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Nope he was only in his 30s
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • Toothsmith
    He might well have just been referring to a specific gap in your head then.

Just noticed your location - Are you referring to a German dentist? The Germans do like their engineering. I've seen some lovely precision work from german dentists, but they do chop up a bit more tooth than is the fashion in the UK.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure