Options
Anyone seen this show on RTE?

It's causing quite a stir!!

Must have a look at it myself.

Comments

• Rose999
    Rose999 Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Not seen the show but was on holiday in Kerry in Aug and nearly every radio show was talking about 'Rip off Republic'. Have to say, it is true - everything costs a bl**dy bomb!
    :p
  • declanmcc
    declanmcc Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    Rose999 wrote:
    Not seen the show but was on holiday in Kerry in Aug and nearly every radio showwas taling about 'Rip off Republic'. Have to say, it is true - everything costs a bl**dy bomb!

Yer not wrong there Rose.
    I'm a Donegal man originally - so would be over and back there from Derry quite a bit. The other half and I were in Tesco Letterkenny recently - the prices in there were scandalous!! My Dad was recently complaining about mobile phone charges too. Still - we got cheaper petrol on the way back to Derry!!

Celtic Tiger indeed ........... digging its claws into its own people!
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Here in Newry we get loads - and I mean LOADS - of southern people coming to do a "big shop" in the local Sainsbury's, and in Lidl too. If there is a bank holiday in the south then I just forget about going supermarket shopping here, it takes too long. People don't come up here just for the scenery, southern prices make it worth their while to drive the hour or so from Dublin, Kildare and further.

I heard recently that our local council - Newry & Mourne - is going to ban (or drastically enforce a cut down on) plastic carrier bags as they are such an environmental nuisance. Hurrah, about time too!
  • chunter
    chunter Posts: 2,003 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've seen each episode. It's excellent and from the state broadcaster too.
    Absolutely hammers the Irish government, Dublin pubs, car dealerships, etc.
    Should have one for N. Ireland. GB too. Goes into "political donations" as well. Blair would never allow it..

As for the price of stuff across the border...
    As a Tyrone supporter, we're just about residents of Dublin at this stage.
    It's got to the stage now that the 1.60 for the toll each way is the ONLY money spent on the South side.
    Ridiculous prices. Just plain ridiculous.

NI Burgulars are on a good thing this weekend, should be another sell-out this Sunday - around 70,000 Armagh & Tyrone people heading for Dublin. - at 40 euro a match ticket..
  • Paddymcc_2
    Paddymcc_2 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Mobile Phone charges are much much cheaper in the South. This and fuel are about the only cheaper thinigs.
    :: No Links in signatures please - Edited by Forum Manager ::
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport