Mortgage - to pay off or not to pay off?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
iminowiminow Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgages & Endowments
I am 59 and divorced.  I have a pension of £14K from my last employer and will shortly be receiving a pension from the MOD followed in 5 years with the state OAP.   I am not concerned with leaving any inheritance when I die.  My property is currently worth about £200K.

However, I have a £45K interest only mortgage and currently paying about £225 PCM (£3K pa) interest.  I recently sold my endowment policy and have about £40K in cash ISAs, premium bonds and other savings, providing me with a gross additional income of about £2k pa plus the ability to spend the cash should I choose to.  I calculate that the net cost of my mortgage is therefore about £700 pa.  I also pay my ex-wife and children £200pcm in maintenance.

I am minded to continue paying the interest and keep my cash as I calculate that, even if I could pay off the loan I would only save about £700 pa and at that rate it would take me until I am 116 years old to save the £40K I have at the moment.  In addition if I paid off the mortgage it is likely that my maintenance payments would increase.  Am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals