Comet & DVD's

Options
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, I bought a DVD player for my mother-in-law 15 month a go and you can guess it!! it's developed a fault 3 month after the warranty expired. I contacted Comet and they said they would send an engineer at a call out cost of £60 and charge me whatever it is to repair it. What I want to know is although the warranty has expired is there not a period of time that an electrical appliance should last afterwards that is covered by my statutory rights? It only cost me £37 in the first place... Any help would be appreciated...

Thanx

Comments

• aeuerby
    aeuerby Posts: 782 Forumite
    Options
    It's a difficult one this. We bought a panasonic surround sound system with dvd player (scht70). Shortly after the 1 year warranty ran out it stopped playing dvd's - we finished up buying a new system in the end (not a panasonic though!).

Anyway, the sale of goods act is a good place to start try this link and see if it's of any help. http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

The sale of goods act states "An item only needs to last as long as it is reasonable to expect it to, taking into account all the factors" So maybe you could try asking Comet how long they feel your model should last and see what they say. If they say it should last a few years try and get it in writing and then go back to Comet armed with this information and the sale of goods act.

Also maybe try the citizens advice for help

Good luck, you are going to need it. :)

Angela.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills