StakeHolder pension charges

Options
Hi all

I have read Martins article about trying to effectively re-pension to try and reduce the annual charges. I thought I was being charged 1% per year of my pension value and that I may be able to reduce this down to 0.6% per year. I didn't know the government cap on charges had been increased from 1 to 1.5% so I thought I would check my last pension statement and do a little maths and find out exactly what I am being charged.

On doing the maths
monthly charge / current fund value x 100 for a monthly percent
x12 to get a approximate yearly percent
the value turn out at 2.76% per year and not 1%

I have emailed Friend provident to query this but it does seem to be over the governments cap.

Mr. P

Comments

• DavidLaGuardia
    Options
    A personal pension, in theory, can have any charges. If it is a stakeholder it must stick to within 1.5% for the first 10 years and 1% thereafter (although some still offer the 1% throughout) but not all personal pensions are stakeholder
  • mr._prude
    mr._prude Posts: 162 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    This is definitely a Stake holders pension. It will be interesting to find out how FP explains these charges.

Thanks
    Mr.P
  • ReportInvestor
    Options
    hi mr._prude

I obviously don't know the ins and outs of your particluar case, BUT try clicking on this link below

A 1.5% cap on charges does NOT mean that your fees are capped at 1.5% :mad:

The evidence suggests that there is plenty of leeway for any company to add an extra 1% (or more) to your bill without anyone making too much fuss :eek: .

It is vital that investors are able to view the TER (Total Expense Ratio) as advocated by Fitzrovia. Stephen Wynn argues that stakehoder products are a "charter for churners", as investment management companies take their extra cut at your expense.
  • DavidLaGuardia
    Options
    It is vital that investors are able to view the TER (Total Expense Ratio) as advocated by Fitzrovia. .

Absolutely spot on! TERs show the true costs of a fund. It is true however that the contractual charges being reduced as a result of stakeholder have made things genuinely cheaper as the dealing costs contributing to the TER were there anyway in most cases.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure