A king size firm mattress

Options
We are desperate for a king size mattress. we both have a bad back and have had this matress for about 5 years now.

If anyone finds one that is a bargain or know of any online shops that are reasonable please post a link.

many thanks.

Comments

• seilbahn
    seilbahn Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    I am a little wary of the word 'firm' in the title. I have a bad back and bought a mattress that was firm and it made my back much worse. I then bought a memory foam topper to place on top of the firm mattress and this has been fantastic. Of course putting a topper on top of a sagging bed or mattress would be no good at all.
  • unrich
    unrich Posts: 814 Forumite
    Options
    Also

I was told firm/medium is also relative to weight.

As a "light" person I was advised not to buy a firm as it would be too firm.
    He was right I have been very happy with a medium one.
  • whufc4lif3
    whufc4lif3 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I have been tempted to buy from the catologue but i am reluctant because of the interest that you pay. But advice i have had is too make sure you go to a shop and try it out, as this is probably the only way you'll know if it is too firm.

I have though about a mattress topper but out mattress is so bad that its not worth it. but when i get a new one i will invest as it will make it last a lot longer.
  • europrima
    europrima Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do decide to buy a memory foam mattress - I have had one for several years and found it excellent. Don't bother going for the famous named brand beginning with T - you'll finish up paying through the nose, just for the famous name.

I did a web search and when I needed to replace one beginning with T, I found a reasonably priced supplier who can supply and equivalent product at a much lower cost:

http://memory-mattress.co.uk

I'm not saying this is the cheapest you could find, but their prices are reasonable and their service is fine.
  • the_tired_one
    the_tired_one Posts: 1,262 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was at a Next Outlet store last week and they were selling all their stock of matteresses at 50%-75% off.

The King size ones were only £50!!! Reduced from £200!
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Many people think that if they have a bad back then they must have a firm mattress. Well as many of you know I sell beds, and I spend a great deal of time correcting people on this matter.

The reason why people say that you need a firm mattress dates back to when the only mattresses available were open coil sprung. Due to the way that open coil sprung mattresses are constructed they can sag in the middle if the springs are too soft. unrich is right in saying that firmness is relative to weight in so much as if you are light then you would probably suit a medium to firm open coil sprung mattress. If you are quite heavy, then you would need firm springs to give the support and prevent the mattress sagging which would cause your spine to curve.

If you don't like a firm mattress but still want excellent support then you could pay more and go for a pocket sprung mattress. With pocket springs each spring works independently, so they contour to your body. This means that you can have a soft pocket sprung mattress with a bad back.

Then there is memory foam which is temperature sensitive, and actually moulds to your body. However there are many poor quality (and even fake)memory foam mattresses on the market, so choose your mattress carefully. The layer under the memory foam is just as important as the memory foam itself. By far the best combination for back support is the pockst sprung and memory foam mattress, but these can also be the most expensive.
  • Butterfliesarepretty
    Options
    I think sleepmasters are good with beds. going to go and a try a bed again there at weekend and order it on interest free credit. Getting a king size divan as I have always had cheap beds 6 x 4 in size.

:beer:
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    shawtj2 wrote: »
    I think sleepmasters are good with beds. going to go and a try a bed again there at weekend and order it on interest free credit. Getting a king size divan as I have always had cheap beds 6 x 4 in size.

:beer:

Personally I have never dealt with any sales reps from Sleepmasters, but if they are anything like many of those (not all) from other big bed chain stores, then don't believe a word they say, and use your own judgement combined with information from these forums.
  • hardpressed
    hardpressed Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just bought a foam mattress from M&S, king size is £149. I have a bad back but, so far, have found this very comfortable, it's firm but not hard if you see what I mean. Comes rolled up, vacuum packed, one you open the bag it opens up to 6" thick.
  • sassybooboos
    Options
    i also had a bad back and bought a bad from dreams with memory thingy in.
    and to be honest i have hardly had any back problems since sleeping on the new bed after a few months.

it did cost a bit but my pain free days are worth it, after the doctor used to just throw anti inflammatorys at me to sort it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure