Will I Get Tax Back

Options
I started a Part time Job on the 1st Of March after not working for 10 years. (Living abroad and having children) I was taxed in my Monthly wage and was wondering will I get this back as I did not use any of my tax allowance last year and if so will I have to claim it or will it be refunded through my employer. Tax code is 522L.
Thanks

Comments

• taxdoctor
    taxdoctor Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Nicky,

It sounds to me like you are probably on the tax code 522L M1 (month one) this means that they are not giving you any allowances for the previous part of the tax year.

If you were on 522L then I doubt you would have been taxed this month as you would have had so many built up allowances to put against the pay (Unless of course you earned over £5000 in this month?, I'm going to assume you didn't!)

My guess is that it wont be sorted out before the end of the tax year (which it would need to be in order to receive the money through your wages). You are therefore going to need to make a claim with HM Revenue after the tax year has finished.

Your employer will issue you with a P60 and you will need to send this along with a covering letter explaining your situation to the relevant tax office (the relevant office can be found on the top of your P60)

It should then take around 6-8 weeks for any refund to be made.

It's definitely worth informing them in the letter that this is your only job in this tax year and you only started in March, this avoids the need for them to write back to you for work history confirmation.

Good luck!
  • taxdoctor
    taxdoctor Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Nicky forgot to say explicitly that:

YES! I imagine you will be eligible to get your tax back!
  • fengirl_2
    fengirl_2 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Options
    As you have been abroad, any tax refund will depend on your residence status. You will therefore need to download a P86 from www.hmrc.gov.uk, fill it in and send it in with your P60 to your tax office after you get your P60.
    £705,000 raised by client groups in the past 18 mths :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport