Braces for the back teeth???

Hi I was wondering if it is possible to have braces on the back teeth to make the smile wider IYSWIM. My back teeth on one side go inwards a little stopping me having the full arch shape I have on the bottom teeth. Does that make sense, its hard to explain? The only thing is I have crowns on my 6 front teeth so although I don't(can't have) need braces on the crowns can I still have them on the back teeth that are not crowned? Oh I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered posting because I don't know if I am making sense? :o:p

KM x

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Probably what you're describing here is arch-widening.

This is where you try and make a narrow arch of teeth wider.

It's done by a removable appliance which is split down the centre with a screw between the two pieces. The screw is slowly opened up which forces the jaw apart (It actually does come apart along a bone-joing that runs down the middle of the palate) and the widens it.

You need to wear the appliance for ages after the movement has finished in order to allow the bone to re-grow and stabalise. Even then, it often goes back to how it used to be in the end.

Ask your dentist about it next time you're in.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure