advice needed problem over holiday pay

been working for company for 8 years booked a weeks holiday was told it was ok to have the time off, while on holiday got a phone call telling me i would not get paided for it as i have not accumalated it yet
Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D

Comments

• ACAS
    This link leads to the holiday entitlement factsheet but as you should have at least 4 weeks holiday a year the information you have been given doesn't seem right to me.
    But ACAS have a helpline, number on the above page and they will be able to advise you how to deal with the situation.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    i've worked at places in past where you had to accumulate holidays, but always when i 1st joined a place. Since you've been there 8 years, do you know when their holiday period runs from? eg Mr Spendless' runs Jan-Dec so in event of him using all his holiday allowance up by say Sept and then wanting a few days off in November if he was allowed them he would have to take them unpaid. Is this whats happened?
  • loates123
    loates123 Posts: 798 Forumite
    my holidays run from april to march they have never done this before..

what would you advise me to do now
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.:D
  • ManAtHome
    ManAtHome Posts: 8,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Some companies work the accrual system regardless of how long you've worked for them so you get a weeks hol for every 3 months worked during the holiday year. Possibly correct if their holiday year starts June, July, or August. Not the way to treat staff, but that's the way some companies do it.

ps - crossed posts.
    Who told you that it wouldn't be payable.? Get it in writing (including reason why) and get onto HR (get onto HR anyway - will give 'em something to do..).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure