Being made redundant and job interviews

Options
Sadly we have been told that my hubbys being made redundant next month. Hes ben working in his current job since May (im stating this in case its important) so hes got to go to some interviews. However hes not the only one being made redundant. One man in particular has been having time off for interviews. When my hubby asked about this he told them that as the compnay is making him redundant they have to pay him still for the time off to attend interview. Can anyone please tell me if this is right? He did say it is a new rule that the government introduced. We really would like any info especially a link to a official site so that I can print if off so if hes not paid and hes ment to then he can appeal.
Also if he doesnt manage to get a job before hes made redundancy we shasll have to rely on my income alone. This is just under £100 a week. Would there be anything we can claim that may help as my mortgage is more than that and we have a 10 month old daughter. Im really worried as we have no savings at the moment and dont know how were going to cope. Hence hubby wanting to attend lots of interviews and gain another job
Thanks in advance
Allie
2007 is my getting slim year
Total weight loss so far is 16llbs:T
Total to go 15 pounds:eek:
Not no more as im having a baby:D

Comments

• gremlin
    gremlin Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there, sorry to hear about your husbands redundacy - hope he finds a job soon. Ive found this for you - it might be of help

to quote :

an employee who is given notice of dismissal because of redundancy is entitled to time off with pay to look for another job or to make arrangements for training for future employment. Employees are entitled to time off in this way only if they have had two years continuous employment with their employer.

So it doesn't look like your hubbie can claim entitlement, but I worked for a company for less than two years beforeloads of us were made redundant and they gave us all time off for interviews etc. I found it recommended by the dti as good practice. So it may be worth trying for it anyway.

Heres the link.

Sorry cant help with the benefits but I know theres loads on here who know exactly what you could claim. They'll be along shortly Im sure

Hope this is some help and best of luck. x
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye" - Miss Piggy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure