New Post Advanced Search

Low Fat Custard

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
4 replies 1.5K views
Alison_BAlison_B Forumite
2.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I usually buy low fat Ambrosia custard in cartons but it is quite expensive. If I have Birds custard powder and use skimmed milk and a small amount of sugar, will this make low fat custard the same?

Thanks

Replies

• se999se999 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    We've always make custard like that, and had no problems. :D

I've always assumed with the skimed milk it must be low fat.
  • apprentice_tycoonapprentice_tycoon Forumite
    3.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Birds make a low fat instant custard powder that you just add boiling water to - we think that it's just a nice as the traditional Birds custard powder made with skimmed milk, and so quick to make too.
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    We just make cornflour custard which is pretty much what birds powder is anyway.
    Just mix up the cornflour as if it was custard powder and add sugar and vanilla essence.Real custard is made with eggs.
  • polpol Forumite
    643 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I am the only one in our house that can eat custard, so I use Asda low fat custard sachet and just use about 1/3 packet in half cup water. It's only 21p a packet so cheaper for one.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers