PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cleaning removable sofa covers

Options

Comments

• seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That's really strange! I would just try washing them again, as maybe something was caught up in the covers the first time, which you didn't see?
  • life_in_termoil
    Options
    It may be the flame retardant stuff they coat the fabric in. Air them outside and see if the smell goes once they are dry.
    Sealed Pot Challenge member #982
    In 2012 I pledge to:- Save £1 a day, meal plan, be more organised, have NSDs, set myself a budget AND STICK TO IT, throw all loose change into Sealed Pot and not open it till 29th November.:money:
  • mrsb83_2
    mrsb83_2 Posts: 914 Forumite
    Options
    Try leaving them in the sun (if we ever get any again!).
    Total Debt Sept 2010 - £24,132.38 / Current - £0.00/ 100% paid

DFD - [STRIKE]Aug 2014[/STRIKE] 24th Aug 2012

£10 a day // Jun - £64/£300 / Jul - £133/£310 / Aug - £281/£310
  • lindseykim13
    lindseykim13 Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    Options
    I'd air them and if that didn't work try some febreeze (not used it myself but worth a try maybe?)
  • Cosmopolitan
    Options
    You could try sprinkling with some bicarbonate of soda and leaving for a while then brushing/carefully hoovering off. Not sure how well it would work on sofas but a lot of OS'ers recommend it for carpets. HTH
    :starmod:Cosmopolitan:starmod:

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with a thread on washing sofa covers

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• afeitar
    afeitar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    We have an Ikea Karlstad sofa and one of my parent's dogs has been sick on it. We thought 'great, we can just remove the covers and clean them!' but when we removed them we noticed they are dry clean only. They are quite a tough durable fabric but seem like they would be ok on a wool wash to me. I am a bit worried though, any tips? Anyone else regularly clean their sofa?

Or any old style tips for getting a stain out of the sofa? I'm really loathe to send them to the dry cleaner, but I may have to and invoice my parents for the bill haha :rotfl:
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
  • Helen2k8
    Helen2k8 Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    I wash my "dry clean only" covers, on a cool wash, the only thing that's happened is that the inside of the seams have frayed, but not to the point of making holes (yet!). Just makes them a bit more fiddly to get back on!

Does the label say what the fabric actually is?

The washing might remove some kind of stain protective, or fire retarding coating maybe?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I always wash my 'dry clean only' curtains and suite covers, both cream coloured and quite heavy duty.

Never had a problem with them.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • afeitar
    afeitar Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Helen2k8 wrote: »
    I wash my "dry clean only" covers, on a cool wash, the only thing that's happened is that the inside of the seams have frayed, but not to the point of making holes (yet!). Just makes them a bit more fiddly to get back on!

Does the label say what the fabric actually is?

The washing might remove some kind of stain protective, or fire retarding coating maybe?

It says that it is 85% cotton, 15% polyester, which makes me think it should be ok in the wash? I am worried about them shrinking and not being able to go back on mostly but a cool wash should be ok I think. I think they will take forever to dry too! I might try it tonight *fingers crossed*
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport