We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PAYPLAN,GRANT THORTON and CCCS IVA's.

PAYPLAN, GRANT THORTON and CCCS IVA's.

Hi all, im interested in your experiences with the above organisations if they have recommended their own IVA as the most appropriate option. Do you feel they where acting in your best interests, or was Bankruptcy clearly a cheaper and more appropriate option ?

In particular were you offered an IVA when you had no assetts, or little equity in a property or fairly low income ?

Did / is the IVA working for you, and are / were the payments affordable.

Cheers folks

DD
Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
«134

Comments

  • bentalls
    bentalls Posts: 70 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Not sure if I would qualify to answer this question, as my IVA was originally set up by debtmatters - Grant Thornton are now in charge of it following DMs 'problems'...
    Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?;)
  • Scarlett.1974
    Scarlett.1974 Posts: 2,765 Forumite
    Hi DD

    As I posted on another thread, this is my experience:

    H and I were on a DMP with Payplan and they recommended we should go for an IVA. Now, this was never an option for us for the following reasons:

    1. We had NO disposable income, we were in a deficit of several hundred pounds a month.
    2. H wasn't working.
    3. We had NO equity in our house, we were in massive negative equity in fact and this would not have turned around in the 5 years of the IVA.

    So, in conclusion, I would say that they were promoting an IVA for us for THEIR own interests, certainly not for ours :(

    I would urge anyone who has been recommended an IVA to do LOTS of research (Martin's Guide to IVA is a great place to start) and definitely get more than 1 opinion, especially if that sole opinion is Payplan's.
    You can't control everything in life....... your hair was put on your head to remind you of that :p

    Proud to be BSC no. 103
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi DD - Grant Thornton are, now, my Trustees, having taken over Robson Rhodes. On their first letter, in the form of a questionaire, they did ask me if I had considered an IVA and did I wish to consider an IVA as an alternative to Bankruptcy - even after I was discharged. :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Scarlett thats quite shocking, but im sure im going to hear more of the same. Rog2, thats just completely mad !!

    Thanks folks

    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Rog2, thats just completely mad !!

    I agree, DD - especially as I had no income. :confused:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,542 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    rog2 wrote: »
    I agree, DD - especially as I had no income. :confused:

    Very odd.:confused:

    It's possible and makes sense for the small percentage of people for whom an IVA would have been more suitable, but here I can't see it.:rolleyes:
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

    IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • bentalls
    bentalls Posts: 70 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I earn a reasonably good salary, but have NO assets. No house, no other property, nothing but a car on hp. The payments for the IVA were set high, and have proved to be impossible to keep up with, but DM have managed to get their fees in the year that I paid my IVA, so no-one gives a monkeys now. Obviously DM are only interested in what they get out of an IVA, but I am quite sure Grant Thornton will not give a toss either
    Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?;)
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Seems like another miss selling bentalls, these tv adverts seem so tempting to people who are vulnerable due to their situation, without being told there is another option.

    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    fermi wrote: »
    Very odd.:confused:

    It's possible and makes sense for the small percentage of people for whom an IVA would have been more suitable, but here I can't see it.:rolleyes:

    In fairness to GT - they 'backed off' when I explained my situation.

    I must admit, though, as trustees they seem to be very inefficient - we still haven't finally resolved my BI question - my solicitor is still waiting for details from GT's solicitors, to the extent that we may not meet the deadline, imposed by GT, of the end of April. It is their fault, but my solicitor has had to ask the 'mortgage lender' to extend their offer, which was, initially for six months.

    I am NOT impressed with GT.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • bentalls
    bentalls Posts: 70 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I have yet to hear from GT, all I have had so far is a welcome letter from them... Watch this space!
    Is that a light I see at the end of the tunnel?;)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.