We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can Pipex terminate contract when I go bankrupt?

Hi,

I remember Pipex asking if I have ever been bankrupt when signing up for Pipex so thought I'd better check their terms and conditions and just found this:

8 Termination

8.1 We may end this Contract immediately if:
8.1.7 You are declared bankrupt or enter into any agreement with Your creditors; and/or
8.1.8 We are required to end this Contract by a competent regulatory authority.

Does anyone know what part 8.1.8 means and also if it will be likely we will be terminated. We are on a minimum contract of 18 months which lasts till October? Has anyone else been terminated after bankruptcy?

If we were terminated, would we would have to pay the charges up till October even if we had no supply? Any help would be grateful?

Comments

  • Hi Jane,

    I'm not a Pipex user, so I can't comment on them in particular. What I've found is this.

    If you're up-to-date on your payments, they usually couldn't care less whether you're BR or not. If you're not including them as a creditor in your BR & if you're not listing them as a service provider in your SOA, there's no reason for them to even find out about it.

    Those clauses are to give them a way out of providing you with a service if you go BR owing them money, but if your account has no debts on it there's no reason for them not to want to keep you. The fact that your contract expires in October anyway may work in your favour, since terminating your contract enables you to go elsewhere by choice & costs them money. I think, if they terminate your contract, they can't expect you to pay until October, because you're not choosing to end the deal, they are. Telecoms/internet providers usually start trying to offer inducements to people to stay with them when a contract is coming to an end, so if you don't owe them any money I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :)
  • Jane21_3
    Jane21_3 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Hi Jane,

    I'm not a Pipex user, so I can't comment on them in particular. What I've found is this.

    If you're up-to-date on your payments, they usually couldn't care less whether you're BR or not. If you're not including them as a creditor in your BR & if you're not listing them as a service provider in your SOA, there's no reason for them to even find out about it.

    Those clauses are to give them a way out of providing you with a service if you go BR owing them money, but if your account has no debts on it there's no reason for them not to want to keep you. The fact that your contract expires in October anyway may work in your favour, since terminating your contract enables you to go elsewhere by choice & costs them money. I think, if they terminate your contract, they can't expect you to pay until October, because you're not choosing to end the deal, they are. Telecoms/internet providers usually start trying to offer inducements to people to stay with them when a contract is coming to an end, so if you don't owe them any money I don't think you'll have anything to worry about. :)

    Thanks for your reply. I'm up to date with payments so hopefully won't have any problems.
  • Of course it depends if you would rather get out of your contract with them, are you happy with PIPEX service? i personally haven't heard a good word about them and some friends of ours had severe problems with them but everyone is different, i'm sure some must get good service.
    Life is like a game of Snakes & Ladders, i almost made it to the top but now i'm at the bottom again and its a very long ladder to the top. I had it all and now its gone :eek:
    Well my 6 years are now up, now to start to rebuild my life again

    BSC Member 95
  • Toon_Dave
    Toon_Dave Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    HI Jane,

    Are you able to 'not inlcude' them in your SOA?? it may seem to the OR that you are hiding something by not disclosing all payments at present. It may also mean you are short each month as paying them in additon to the listed creditors etc.

    i was with pipex for a short while, what a nightmare they were to deal with. not interested in any situation at all. However if you go BR and you owe or will owe money to clear contract i believe this will be written off and cancelled under the terms of the BR orde so the october Contract date should not be an issue. Get some legal advice on this to be sur from one of the free charities.

    Dave
    :D BSC MEMBER NO. 125:D
    BR - 16th June 2008 AD - 16th June 2009
    :DIs it nice to be important or MORE important to be nice.:D
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Dave you are allowed things gong out of your account with out putting them on your I&E. Internet is not an allowable expense in your I&E but if you can afford it in your surplus then the OR doesn't bat an eyelid. He understands that people have these things.

    You can include internet in your I&E if you need it for work or you are studying.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Toon_Dave wrote: »
    HI Jane,

    Are you able to 'not inlcude' them in your SOA?? it may seem to the OR that you are hiding something by not disclosing all payments at present. It may also mean you are short each month as paying them in additon to the listed creditors etc.
    Which is why people only leave something out that they want to continue paying for if they genuinely feel they can keep paying for it once they've gone BR - after all, they wouldn't deliberately make out they've got less to pay for than they have & possibly leave themselves more at risk of an IPA. :) I know many people who didn't include their contract mobile or Sky, because they changed their package after going BR & use part of their surplus to pay for it or cut back on something else to help meet the cost. That's how I've managed to keep mine. :)
  • Toon_Dave
    Toon_Dave Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    cheers everyone, i wasnt sure on the situation with leaving items off the I&E... That makes sense though. If you feel you can afford under surplus then so be it.

    Dave.
    :D BSC MEMBER NO. 125:D
    BR - 16th June 2008 AD - 16th June 2009
    :DIs it nice to be important or MORE important to be nice.:D
  • Jane21_3
    Jane21_3 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Of course it depends if you would rather get out of your contract with them, are you happy with PIPEX service? i personally haven't heard a good word about them and some friends of ours had severe problems with them but everyone is different, i'm sure some must get good service.

    Hi empty wallet,

    I've found them to be ok, I have a package with phone, phone line and internet. I do pay a bit more a month than they quoted but other than that they're ok. i just don't want the hassle of trying to find another provider who may not want us after going bankrupt.
  • Jane21_3
    Jane21_3 Posts: 48 Forumite
    Which is why people only leave something out that they want to continue paying for if they genuinely feel they can keep paying for it once they've gone BR - after all, they wouldn't deliberately make out they've got less to pay for than they have & possibly leave themselves more at risk of an IPA. :) I know many people who didn't include their contract mobile or Sky, because they changed their package after going BR & use part of their surplus to pay for it or cut back on something else to help meet the cost. That's how I've managed to keep mine. :)

    Can I include internet in my SOA as it is a package with phone calls and line rental? I don't know how much it matters for me as income at the moments is partners Incapacity benefit, Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, so I've been told I won't get an IPA anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.