We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Unbelievable Creditor Response

My IVA proposal was effectively rejected today by one creditor – Egg. They want 100% of the debt repaid with the IVA fees on top! I owe in total £79000 (to many creditors). Egg want want £1240 paid over 42 months with a £35000 lump sum at the end (I retire and get my pension) This equates to £87000. Is that legal?
I am thinking about their ‘requirement’ over the weekend but the answer will have to be NO, I feel and BR will be the next step. However, I have some questions:


I was under the impression that if I go BR, my car is at risk and my house – but I rent my home anyway. Can other household goods be ‘sacrificed’? I am on sufficient salary to pay into an income payments arrangement and I expect to do so but I read somewhere else on here of a computer being taken. If goods/chattels are surrendered, how does that work? Does the OR send the heavies around to see what you have? How are they disposed of? Do I sell them or does the OR?

We have an LCD TV that is 2 years old. It cost £1000 then. I was advised by some ‘Insolvency helpline’ i rang that the OR could in theory take this as an asset. Does the OR ask about such things? I was planning to put on the forms ‘general household appliances’. I was not planning to list TV, computer etc. BR does not sound such a good alternative all of a sudden…
In the beginning, there was nothing.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.

Comments

  • I cant believe egg, how stupid of them. Who was your IVA with?

    The OR is only interested in high value items over £1000 in value at auction so your 2 yr old lcd will be fine as probably only worth £100-200 at auction. I Think cars over 2k in value are looked at but if you have a valid reason to keep it then should be safe depending on the value.

    The OR doesnt send any heavies round, this is what i thought when i first thought about going BR, it seems to be something the tv and press like to use as scarmongering.
    Life is like a game of Snakes & Ladders, i almost made it to the top but now i'm at the bottom again and its a very long ladder to the top. I had it all and now its gone :eek:
    Well my 6 years are now up, now to start to rebuild my life again

    BSC Member 95
  • I was under the impression that if you went BR the court sent round baliffs who would basically clear you out of anything that wasn't on their list as an essential living item. I saw a program on bbc1 a year or so back where they made it appear like this as they had this guy who was 50k in debt an then he was out one day and they virtually cleared his house out totally and when he came back they said so this is how it would feel if you dont do something about your debt and the baliffs come round, how wrong they were.
    I expected them to want all my dvd's, cd's, books, tv's etc etc etc but as i said above only high value goods are what they want, even vehicles are worth a lot less than you would imagine, they took my motorbike last week which i could have sold for £3k easily, well the OR said i could buy it back for auction value of arond £1500, so take off the handling fee's and commisions for the aution house and the OR will be lucky to see £1k from something worth £3k.
    Life is like a game of Snakes & Ladders, i almost made it to the top but now i'm at the bottom again and its a very long ladder to the top. I had it all and now its gone :eek:
    Well my 6 years are now up, now to start to rebuild my life again

    BSC Member 95
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.