We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OR call received today

Hello,

I posted a message here a few days ago as I was getting really worried about imminent OR phone call today, and everyone here just told me to be open and honest.
I had spent hours preparing for this call, and had done a 5 year chart to have in front of me showing where I had lived, who I was working for, the debts I had each year etc, what the money was spent on etc. I just knew that if I didn't have it in front of me, I would stutter and panic!!
The OR called at 10.00 and was on the phone for 1 hour 25 - has anyone else's phone interview taken this long? I think it was due to the fact I have renovated and sold 3 properties in this time and had to go over all the detail of when bought, sold , how much profit, where did it go etc.
For anyone who is due to have the call and worried what they ask, in my case they just went through the whole statement of affairs, asking in detail about the property, a small SE business I had 2 years ago, and when I obtained my credit and what it was spent on. Then they ask you why you think you are at bankruptcy. It was long and formal, but not half as bad as I imagined, and for me I found it a huge help to have it all listed out in front of me ( knew my brain would be on even lower level functioning level than normal)
What concerned me was this - I live with my partner ( his house ). All the debts were 100% mine. I have a p/t job earning £52 pw and get CB and CTC (£90)The rest of the time I look after my daughter . My partner totally supports me and pays all the household bills, mortgage, childcare etc as well as his own personal expenditure with loans, child maintenace etc. On the SOA I had to put total household income so obviously his income was included. The OR said about Income payments at the end and said he thought expenditure was high due to child maintenance ( my partner has 3 other children who do not live with us -( nothing to do with my BR ) travel expenses - my partner works all round the country(again nothing to do with my BR). Surely if these are my debts and I am being supported by my partner, the OR cannot take into consideration his personal outgoings and can only calculate surplus income from my £300 income?
Sorry if this is long winded! I thought I would feel relieved when the call was over, but now I'm really concerned how they will calculate the surplus income, and what rights my partner has with this? Do the OR usually get back to you fairly quickly regarding the amount for the IPO. They said they would write to me.
Any information gratefully received!
Thank you
Sarah

Comments

  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,542 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    An IPA should only be based upon your income and expenditure.

    Your partners contributions are relevant, but only so far as the examiner will want to make sure that you are not paying a disproportionately large portion of the household expenses.

    Was it clear on your forms that it was your partners contribution rather than income of yours?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

    IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Bruno12
    Bruno12 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Hi,
    No it wasn't really clear that it was my partners expenditure. Ques 7.1 on the statement of affairs says how much do you spend on the following: then it lists mortgage, housekeeping, gas, electricity etc and has a total at the bottom. The CAB completed it for me, and for the mortgage they put £913 - Travel £310 etc etc- with a total of £3448.00. But I don't pay towards the mortgage - my partner pays it all, and my travel is only about £20 per month. My money goes on the shopping, and baby items and some clothing. Is this a huge clanger do you think that will totally mislead the OR, and do you think I should call/write and explain. Because the CAB prepared it, I didn't question it.
    Thanks
    Sarah
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,542 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    If you even slightly suspect that the examiner may have misinterpreted it, then it's best to get in touch and explain your situation I would say.

    Even if they tell you that it's OK and they understood the situation, at least you will know they've got all the facts.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

    IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Bruno12
    Bruno12 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Ok - thanks very much for that advice. I'll call them on Tuesday and make sure it is clear.
    Thanks again.
    Sarah
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.