We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Being freelance and the OR interview

My date for bankruptcy is 28 April, not soon enough for me...However I am concerned about how the OR or IP (whoever it is) who interviews me after my court hearing will react to the fact that I want to go freelance again. At present I am not working and have just applied for Jobseekers allowance. I am also applying for various contract/freelance jobs in the creative industries which tend to be of varying lengths eg 2day, 2weeks, 9weeks, 5 months etc. I am wondering how the Voice of God will work out what I will have to pay over the next 3 years as well. Does anyone know what I can they might say with regards to working on varying lengths of contract etc?
Thanks,
C

Comments

  • Richard_S
    Richard_S Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Hi Cinderbrook,

    Your income has to be regular and consistent before the O.R can calculate any IPA, so the chances are that for the first six months say, they'll not take any of it into consideration. Presumably, if you're consistently earning large sums of money then they may want to discuss the situation, but otherwise I'm sure it won't cause you any problems.

    The O.R only has until your discharge date to impose an IPA, so the chances are that you won't heve been working long enough for them to take an average of your income, which is the way fluctuating earnings are usually dealt with.

    Regards

    Richard
  • Cinderbrook
    Cinderbrook Posts: 175 Forumite
    Thank you Richard, that is one less thing to worry about. I didn't to appear like someone who is avoiding working. I thought that might be the case about waiting until I could show six months worth of work or so. Really useful, many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.