We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Bankrupt and moving house
smallfry1983
Posts: 74 Forumite
Hi all,
This is my first post so bear with me. I am an undisclosed bankruptee living in Scotland. I signed the papers 6 months ago, and under Scottish Law still have 2 1/2 years before I'm discharged. I currently don't pay any towards it as I'm on maternity leave, with a 4 month old. Im a single mum, so my income right now is benefits until I return to work.
Now for the question:
If I moved to England, how would it affect my status? Would I then be a bankruptee under English Law? I recently received a job offer down there, and while it is no better than my current job, it is closer to my childs father, who currently lives approx 500 miles away (we are still very close, but no longer together).
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but it plays a huge part in my decision process.
Thanks for reading
This is my first post so bear with me. I am an undisclosed bankruptee living in Scotland. I signed the papers 6 months ago, and under Scottish Law still have 2 1/2 years before I'm discharged. I currently don't pay any towards it as I'm on maternity leave, with a 4 month old. Im a single mum, so my income right now is benefits until I return to work.
Now for the question:
If I moved to England, how would it affect my status? Would I then be a bankruptee under English Law? I recently received a job offer down there, and while it is no better than my current job, it is closer to my childs father, who currently lives approx 500 miles away (we are still very close, but no longer together).
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but it plays a huge part in my decision process.
Thanks for reading
0
Comments
-
As far as I know you would still be bankrupt under the jurisdiction of the country you went bankrupt in, and subject to their system.
In the same way, someone going bankrupt in England and then moving to a foreign country would still be subject to the English bankruptcy and their duties under that system.
There is a good debt/bankruptcy in Scotland forum section here: Debt in ScotlandFree/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB
IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed0 -
Thanks fermi, Ill have a look at that site now
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards