We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
IVA set to fail at the first hurdle
Bald_Runner
Posts: 80 Forumite
My wife and I have proposed a joint IVA and the creditors meeting is tomorrow – 20th March. It was adjourned from 14th because Egg wanted more time to consider our proposal. I have heard today that the proposal is likely to be rejected because Egg want us to cancel our Sky subscription (£19 per month) and they think that we have been allowed ‘too many allowances’ to the value of £170. They also want other cuts and want a clause which in theory would give them access to my pension. Because of what we owe Egg, they have the ability to fail the IVA proposal despite the other creditors votes. Our proposal will pay £69000 over 5 years – before the IVA fees. We owe £78000 so I feel we are paying a good return.
I intend to let the proposal stand and not bow down to their demands. IVA is meant to be a way of paying creditors an affordable sum. If the proposal is rejected, and I go BR (I have already booked an appointment at the County Court) I presume the OR will expect to see my initial IVA payment; the one I will not be paying? Or can I justify using it to pay the court fees? What about money put aside for car tax etc? We have some put away for car servicing and MOT due in June - £300
I intend to let the proposal stand and not bow down to their demands. IVA is meant to be a way of paying creditors an affordable sum. If the proposal is rejected, and I go BR (I have already booked an appointment at the County Court) I presume the OR will expect to see my initial IVA payment; the one I will not be paying? Or can I justify using it to pay the court fees? What about money put aside for car tax etc? We have some put away for car servicing and MOT due in June - £300
In the beginning, there was nothing.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.
0
Comments
-
It would be fine to use the money for your BR fee's, you have to get them from somewhere, also any other money you use for essential living expenses will be fine.
I can't believe your IVA would be rejected as your offering to pay back 88% (£1150 a month??) of your debt with the figures you have posted. Have you also looked at a DMP?Life is like a game of Snakes & Ladders, i almost made it to the top but now i'm at the bottom again and its a very long ladder to the top. I had it all and now its gone :eek:
Well my 6 years are now up, now to start to rebuild my life again
BSC Member 950 -
Actually, it is £1147 but could retire in 3 years. The plan is to embark on a 5 yr IVA then make an offer of a 'full and final settlement after 3 yrs. A DMP would go on for longerIn the beginning, there was nothing.
The Lord said "Let there be light".
There was still nothing, but you could see it.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards