PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker curry

Options

Comments

• heavenleigh
    Options
    Sorry don't have a recipe for sc curry but i am intrigued to know that goat tastes like :) i live in a smallish town with no means to buy it but the local cities are only 10-15 miles away.
    I will save my tesco £1 savings stamps this year! .......so far = £50 (full card#1)
    Card #2 £6. I will not be skint at Chistmas this year!

Total £56
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would marinate your meat first in the spices and then seal it off before putting into the slow cooker.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry don't have a recipe for sc curry but i am intrigued to know that goat tastes like :) i live in a smallish town with no means to buy it but the local cities are only 10-15 miles away.

I find it taste a lot like mutton....
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • richyg
    richyg Posts: 148 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon it would be good - my curry goat recipe -recommended and authenticated by a carribean girl at work is

1 onion

1lb goat (or mutton or even cubed lamb) cut up to 1inch cubes - neck of lamb can also be used you would need a bit more coz of the bone . Try goat if you can get it . It really is tasty.

4 tbs oil
    3 spring onions chopped
    1 green and 1 red pepper sliced
    ginger, garlic , lots of ground black pepper
    hot pepper (chilli) - either as a sauce , scotch bonnet or chilli pepper to taste
    lots of nutmeg and allspice (whole or ground as more easily available)

gently cook everything together on gas or slow cooker for many hours (6 or 8) and add just a little water every so often if it starts to stick.
    add some baby salad potatoes to cook near the end is nice

it should not be too wet when served. Like a dry curry.

Serve with boiled rice.
  • niceday999
    niceday999 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    Got steak pieces today ( on offer...off course ) want to make a curry.....whats the best way of cooking the meat so it's tender...if i fry off in the pan its always tough....
    i have a tin of homepride curry sauce which we love.......and i was thinking of doing it tomorrow in the slow cooker ...is this possible ?
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    I've done sweet and sour pork in the slow cooker, using an Uncle Ben's sauce before. It was fine, although I did have to add a little water since my slow cooker's top rattles, letting the steam out now and again. The pork was fine, a little dry but certainly not chewy!

Here's my favourite beef curry recipe, for next time: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A778052
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
  • niceday999
    niceday999 Posts: 1,058 Forumite
    Options
    thanks i'll def try that one......maybe even just do that one tomoro as i have most of that in already.......
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ooooooh thank you mmmsnow, i've got some meat in the freezer, and I can't remember if it's steak or braising meat, so may give this a go - i've never had the nerve to try a curry before.
    Would it be ok to bung it in the oven for a few hours after bringing it to the boil?
    x
  • Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    Slow cooker will be fantastic - yes, add some boiling water, about half a cup to start. You could start it in a saucepan and then put in the oven if that suited, again, you might need to add some boiling water - maybe when rinsing out the jar.
  • mmmsnow
    mmmsnow Posts: 388 Forumite
    Options
    ooooooh thank you mmmsnow, i've got some meat in the freezer, and I can't remember if it's steak or braising meat, so may give this a go - i've never had the nerve to try a curry before.
    Would it be ok to bung it in the oven for a few hours after bringing it to the boil?
    x

I've never tried putting it in the oven.

One thing I'll say about that recipe is that you may have to adjust the spices. I use medium curry powder instead of hot and put in 1 tsp of hot chilli powder instead of 2 as my husband doesn't have as flame-retardant a mouth as me :)

Here's a nice, easy naan bread to go with it:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/naan/detail.aspx

I used to use my breadmaker to make the dough but it's actually far faster/easier to make it by hand!
    MFW 2019 #61: £13,936.60/£20,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport