We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Bankruptcy fees...
tireesix
Posts: 66 Forumite
Sorry..... Just wondering, if you don't apply for bankruptcy yourself but creditor makes you bankrupt, do you still have to pay fees????? Feeling so thick today so bear with me!!!!!
0
Comments
-
If the creditor makes you bankrupt they will cover all the fees.....but its unlikely the creditor will make you BR as it costs them a considerable ammount of money to do this...its cheaper and easier if you could afford the fees and petition yourselfWe all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will0
-
Oh......... Dammit.
Well, my DH and I have just received letters saying we need to pay nearly 5 grand in the next 14 days.... Considering we can't even afford bankruptcy fees, it might just be a bit difficult. They are threatening court proceedings......... I hate these letters.
We have owed this money for nearly 4 years and its not going to change any time soon........0 -
!st thing you need to do then is contact one of the free debt helplines in my sig below, they will offer you free non judgemental advice on how to manage your current situation & what to do nextWe all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will0
-
Well, we are currently with CAB and I have another appointment on the 4th April.............. So I guess its just a case of waiting till then and trying not to stress....0
-
Nothing to stop you ringing cccs or national debtline? they might be able to help in the meantime till your CAB appt in aprilWe all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will0
-
Yep, just copied a number down so I could do that!!!!! Aha, great minds think alike!!!!!!0
-
Ok, so, am I right in thinking that we might be able to get some help maybe for one of payments to help with debts from certain places??? I mean, would there be someone out there who can help us with the cost of the bankruptcy.
After doing our figures, until June/July time, we have zero spare cash to save with. Its not like June is that far away.......
I think, that this pregnancy has just sent me a bit wild in the head........ Its not just the pregnancy either, our living conditions are stressful and I have a chronic pain condition and thanks to the pregnancy I can't take the pain meds I need so my head is always foggy with either pain or exhaustion or hormone fueled bouts of wappiness..........
I am going to see the CAB dude, tell him I want to go bankrupt and see what he says from there, my DH does not want to go bankrupt which makes things difficult because 2 of the debts (which includes the biggest one) is in both our names, I expect he will see sense eventually, maybe, like me, he is just scared of bankruptcy?????
The only thing is, by the time we are able to save, it will take at least three months to save the money for me alone. In June I will be about 5 months pregnant, so 3-4 months after that, I am going to 8-9 months pregnant. Thanks to my medical problems, I am at higher risk of membrane issues, early labour and fast labour, so...... It could be really tricky. If this is going to be done, its going to have to be done sooner rather than later but there is just no other way we can get the money. (It also takes me a good while to recover after pregnancy unfortunutely).
Aaaaaaaaaargh...... Why did I allow this mess to happen. I am such an idiot.........0 -
This might help, it's the form for the remission of the court fees of £150
If you click on this it should get you to the ex160 form
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...orms/ex160.pdf
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/c...rms/ex160a.pdf
One is the form, the other is the guidance.BSCno.87The only stupid question is an unasked oneLoving life as a Kernow Hippy0 -
Aye, that will help some of it, its just the £300 thats left lol.... I keep thinking I might just be able to manage it but now I think I should just give up. Its simply not going to happen at least for a while. I have enough to worry about with the new baby, my health problems, housing problems etc without trying to find money for a bankruptcy where so little money exists. Its pointless stressing myself out about this.
I am really hacked off about it, why charge so bloody much? If it takes some people at least 3 months to save up for it surely thats a sign they are charging too much??? And thats with over £100 of the charges already knocked off.....
I admit, the debts are mostly my fault, I have been stupid, I feel like a complete idiot but I want to make it better (and actually, NONE of this would have happened if the DWP hadn't totally messed up our claim when I was pregnant, its a long story, we got some money back but by this point, that went on some debts but also on things that we needed for the flat etc and I stupidly spent some on unnecessary things anyway)............
I just want to fix what went wrong and now I am at a point where I want to do it, I feel comfortable with doing it, I find this barrier in the way that for me, is absolutely huge.......0 -
Remember that creditors or debt collectors have NO powers whatsoever, all they can do is ask you to pay.
The only power lies with the county court who should instruct a payment that you can afford. If you have a low income or are on benefits this could be £ 1.00 per month.
Debt collection agencies will lie to you in writing and especially on the phone, saying things like " we ll send the bailiffs" when they have no powers to do ( Bailiffs are ONLY insructed by the court, at a creditors request, when you have failed to comply with a court judgement.
You also mention the debt has been outstanding for 4 years. If you do not acknowledge the debt in writing or make a payment for 6 years then the debt is unenforceable.
DDDebt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards