Lung cancer?

Options
FIL (almost 80) has just been discharged from hospital. He was admitted with general unwellness. He has been ill for over 20 years after suffering a heart attack in his 50's and is now housebound. While in hospital they did some tests and found a shadow on his lung. They decided against doing a biopsy as he suffered a seizure the day before (he's been epileptic for about 8 years). They have sent him home with his discharge saying Lung Cancer.

The hospital have been unforthcoming with any information regarding his condition, sighting patient confidentiality etc. MIL is convinced its cancer even though she hasn't spoken to hospital doctor about. A relative who is a senior nurse says it might not be lung cancer. GP called yesterday and said he has secondary cancers everywhere which is why the hospital decided against a biopsy. We are not aware that he has had a scan so how would this have been diagnosed?

Macmillan nurse called today and said he is to start on Morphine tablets before progressing to liquid. All his other medication has been stopped (since hospital admission).

Has anyone been through a similar scenario. Why start with Morphine tablets, are they as affective. Is it wise to stop epilepsy medication?

My OH feels he's in no man's land. For 20 years his family have been waiting for the dreaded phone call. His father has remarkable resisience for someone who looks so poorly and has survived a burst aneurysm, numerous strokes and still smokes 30 roll up's a day.
:) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think talking to the MacMillan nurse may be the easiest way to go, they are supposed to be very helpful and may be able to help you work out who should ask what questions of which doctors. How often is she coming in?

It is difficult to know how to deal with patient confidentiality - some patients don't want to know much, and want family to know less. So it may depend partly on your FIL's wishes. But I can understand how hard it is for everyone else.

All the best, sending you love and hugs.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for reply Savvy. I have dealt with Macmillan nurses many years ago when my mother died. They were really helpful then but I understand that times have changed and DP etc makes "off the record/straight" chats difficult.

TBH I don't think FIL is in any fit state to take in what they are saying lately. He has always in the past been more than happy to talk about his various ailments (and last xmas's, birthdays etc) at length. I don't wish to sound mean but he has been old a long time and has alway been very negative. He refused to give up or cut down smoking 20 years ago cos he wasn't going to last long! We don't think he has told them not to talk to us. MIL is stressed and so we can't get much sense out of her regarding when Macmillan nurse coming again etc. With my mother it was daily - but we knew we were talking of weeks, not months as the hospital etc had been straight with us.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hard to know where you go from here then. Depends on distances etc: if you can get to see MIL easily and support her a bit then it's easier, but if it's all phone and at a distance ... Maybe if your husband phoned his GP and asked he might get some info, explaining MIL very stressed? I just don't know.

I guess all I can do is send love and hugs and hope you can start to get some more answers - at least about how long he might have, hopefully get the chance to say or show you all love him, even if he bites your head off! (I know my FIL would!)
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • macchicken
    Options
    The best option would be to try and get a hold of his own doctor, get the right story.
    If his next of kin can get the doctor to talk then the situation would be clearer. Despite the data protection act, things can be done, ive been through a very similar situation myself and doctors can use their professional judgement, especialy if the patient is older.
    That mrs macchicken to you!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all replies. Sadly FIL passed away a week ago after suddenly taking a turn for the worse a few days before.
  • Hunnymonster
    Options
    Sorry to hear it Poppy. Hope your MIL is not too despondent, and your OH is ok.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • bokkie7975
    bokkie7975 Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    Aww Poppy, my condolences to you & the family. Take strength from knowing that his suffering is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure