Barclays Tax Haven ISA

Martin, you're a genius! 6.5% AER tax-free for a year, that's very good! :money:

Right, everyone, cover me, I'm going into a branch tomorrow to open one! :D

(Well, I'm not a Barclays customer yet, so can't do it online. :()

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    An update: I went into my local branch of Barclays yesterday to open a Tax Haven ISA, and as a new customer, I was told a few things that appear to differ from their website:

1. The minimum deposit I had to make was £10 - the Barclays website says £1.
    2. You need a cheque to the value of your deposit to open the ISA on its own.
    3. If you want to pay in cash, you need to have a Barclays current account as a "feeder" first.

If you're going to open one, I'd recommend checking with your local Barclays branch first because there may be a difference between what their branches tell you and what the website says, unless I've missed something (which is possible: the minimum deposit may be higher if you're new to Barclays).
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I opened one of these online today as an existing customer.

It only needed £1 to open it though.

Thanks for the tip though, Martin :T
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Belnahua
    Belnahua Posts: 1,493
    Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Unfortunately this is not available on line, so no good if you don't have a branch near.
    A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Belnahua wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is not available on line, so no good if you don't have a branch near.

I did mine on line :confused:
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • Nomad25
    Nomad25 Posts: 1,995
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wrote:
    You can only do on-line if you are existing Barclays [bank] customer. I'm not and was given the heave-ho this p.m. when I tried.
  • jonny1664
    jonny1664 Posts: 17 Forumite
    How long did it take after you submitted the online form to open the ISA?

Did it just appear in your online banking or was everything posted to you?
  • Eydon
    Eydon Posts: 599
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I applied late last week. Got a letter yesterday to say they were processing my application, and because of the demand things might take a while, but when I checked my online banking today the account has been opened and the money is in there already.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Eydon wrote: »
    I applied late last week. Got a letter yesterday to say they were processing my application, and because of the demand things might take a while, but when I checked my online banking today the account has been opened and the money is in there already.

was that for this tax year?

surely if you're opening one for the new tax year the money wouldn't be in there yet??:confused:
  • Robusty
    Robusty Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hi all,

I've heard Martin mentioned about the Barclays Tax Havens ISA, but what about the Lloyd tsb fixed rate cash ISA??(but its 6.5% Tax free for savings over £9000, and you can transfer from your other exiting ISAs).

I've checked with my local Barclays, he said that the max. you can save in the Tax Haven ISA is £3600 this year, and NO tranfer-in from your other ISA provider. So am i right to say if ppl who will have over £9000 to save in this coming tax year, it would be better for them to have the Lloyd tsb fixed rate cash ISA instead of the Barclays tax havens?? (beacause you can only save max. of £3600 with Barclays at 6.31% TAX FREE, and over £9000 with Lloyd TSB @ 6.5% TAX FREE.

I have the link for the lloyds fixed rate cash isa here:http://www.lloydstsb.com/savings/fixed_rate_cash_isa.asp

(important - penalty for withdrawl from the lloyd fixed rate cash isa is 90 days of interest)

please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Thanks in advance
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Robusty wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've heard Martin mentioned about the Barclays Tax Havens ISA, but what about the Lloyd tsb fixed rate cash ISA??(but its 6.5% Tax free for savings over £9000, and you can transfer from your other exiting ISAs).

I've checked with my local Barclays, he said that the max. you can save in the Tax Haven ISA is £3600 this year, and NO tranfer-in from your other ISA provider. So am i right to say if ppl who will have over £9000 to save in this coming tax year, it would be better for them to have the Lloyd tsb fixed rate cash ISA instead of the Barclays tax havens?? (beacause you can only save max. of £3600 with Barclays at 6.31% TAX FREE, and over £9000 with Lloyd TSB @ 6.5% TAX FREE.

I have the link for the lloyds fixed rate cash isa here:http://www.lloydstsb.com/savings/fixed_rate_cash_isa.asp

(important - penalty for withdrawl from the lloyd fixed rate cash isa is 90 days of interest)

please correct me if i'm wrong.
    Thanks in advance

yeah looks good to me!:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills