I don;t think this is money saving...

New Post Advanced Search

I don;t think this is money saving...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
12 replies 1.3K views
ZziggiZziggi Forumite
2.5K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
I started reading the OS threads to find ways of making good food cheaply and hopefully saving some cash. However i think OH is regretting it. I'm now spending so long in the kitchen that on Friday i announced to my OH that i have just GOT to have a new kitchen.

Not exactly moneysaving is it?

...but in my defence the kitchen is the original one in the house when it was built 1972, crummy worktop and tiles (germs?) not to mention dodgy sink with cooker & fridge freezer on the blink...

Replies

• BWZN93BWZN93 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol!! Not exactly moneysaving, but definately worth it!! Im craving a new place with a decent sized kitchen with a cooker that works properly! Boyf loves the idea too, because it means I can do more home made pizza's....

Find a dish that OH says he cant live without, and then tell him a new kitchen would make it so much better to prepare it in, a little blackmail goes a long way with men and their stomach's ive found!!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • ZziggiZziggi Forumite
    2.5K posts
    jw1096 wrote:
    Lol!! Not exactly moneysaving, but definately worth it!! Im craving a new place with a decent sized kitchen with a cooker that works properly! Boyf loves the idea too, because it means I can do more home made pizza's....

Find a dish that OH says he cant live without, and then tell him a new kitchen would make it so much better to prepare it in, a little blackmail goes a long way with men and their stomach's ive found!!

Jo xx

oh so true!

I was looking through some kitchen leaflets and drooling over the Arga cookers and solid granite worktops. OH just said ''i take it you have no idea how much they are to buy''. I'm assuming they're expensive then. Hey, a girl can dream... knowing my luck (and budget) it'll be a flat pack DIY job from B&Q.
  • BWZN93BWZN93 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol! We have an aga shop near us, I drool every time I go past it, boyf has to drag me away saying "NOOOOO, we dont have a massive kitchen, we dont have a lot of money, but damn, I really like that black one"

Quite strange really - he doesnt 'do' cooking etc but likes the idea of a nice big aga in a nice big country house. Shame he isnt a rock star yet.... Maybe one day though!

Jo xx
    #KiamaHouse
  • marybmaryb Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    isn't it annoying when husbands etc say 'You don't really want an AGA' when it's blindingly obvious that that's exactly what i do want!!!

A four oven one. In cream
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Zziggi...you are talking about making an investment. If you'd mentioned to OH that you wanted a brand new car, then that would be completely not money saving...but a new kitchen is completely different!! I've had three of them in my time (gosh I'm greedy!) ie in the two places I've lived in before I have updated the kitchen, and I'm a new house now with the kitchen of my choice fitted. Believe me, a new shiny kitchen in the colours, type of sink & tap, work surfaces, lighting, and layout of storage and work area that suits you just can't be beaten. Get on OH's case!!
    Zziggi wrote:
    I started reading the OS threads to find ways of making good food cheaply and hopefully saving some cash. However i think OH is regretting it. I'm now spending so long in the kitchen that on Friday i announced to my OH that i have just GOT to have a new kitchen.

Not exactly moneysaving is it?

...but in my defence the kitchen is the original one in the house when it was built 1972, crummy worktop and tiles (germs?) not to mention dodgy sink with cooker & fridge freezer on the blink...

• se999se999 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Is it part of being old style to have AGA dreams?

I've longingly walked by the AGA shops too, but never had the cash for the AGA or the money for a house extension to fit it into!!!!

But we now rent a holiday cottage sometimes, and it has an AGA :j

So I can at least occasionally 'live the dream'.

I did discover that staying there involved constant potatoes in the oven for jacket potatoes for DS1 & 2, also constant toast using the special toaster on the hot plate. Also everyone on a diet for a few weeks afterwards :o
  • kscourkscour Forumite
    656 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    With snowy owl on this one
    A car is a depreciating asset - the minute it's on the drive it starts costing money whether you drive it or not
    A kitchen (if you get it right) is an investment - A good kitchen even in 5 years time will still have added value to the property - let alone the amount you'll have saved by baking & cooking cos you just love being in there!
    Trust me I'm (nearly) a certifiable accountant :D
    May GC - £469.36/£400 :o
  • ChippsChipps Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Is it part of being old style to have AGA dreams?
    Absolutely. It's compulsory. In fact, it is even possible to go to the Aga website and order a free video so even if you can't afford to buy one, you can look at it at least somewhere in your house............

sad, but true.........
  • se999se999 Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Chipps - I thought I was bad!!

Thanks for making me smile, it's always a good way to start the day :D
  • nightsongnightsong Forumite
    517 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    You can buy Agas second-hand of course - a friend of mine did. Shaves a few thousand off the price :eek: :D