PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• lyndasharp
    lyndasharp Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good news, Icesave is now showing my ISA as recieved, so the transfer worked OK. I've lost a weeks interest 'in the post' though, which is annoying. Thanks to a generous donation from my Nana, I've got the next £3600 in a savings account ready to go in on 6th April. My Dad last night offerd me £20k from his ISA to use for a bigger deposit, but I don't really want to take all his savings unless I'm totally desperate....
    Live on £11k in 2011 :D
  • MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    Well, my idea of saving up just a 5% deposit is looking a bit flawed now. HBOS have withdrawn from the 95% ltv market completely, and others are sure to follow. They will offer no mortgages to those with 5% or less as a deposit, the worst rates to those borrowing 90-95%, middling rates to those borrowing 75-90%, and the best rates to those borrowing less than 75%.

If prices are to come down, then obviously the amount you need to save up to make up this increased percentage will be lower, but 5% of 100k is 5k, 25% of 80k (a complete guess at 20% reduction in prices) is 20k. So a much longer wait ahead for me.

'Every cloud' and that though - my rent is considerably cheaper than a mortgage, and every penny added to the deposit is a penny less to repay plus interest. I'm just getting a little impatient I think!!
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    well mr DT, you are just going to have to sell your body :D only kidding. Thats interesting that the 95% market is dwindling too. I was always trying to avoid paying a higher lending charge so that why we are aiming for 10%. I didnt realise that the mortgage rates depended on how much deposit you had (i mean lower down the scale ie. 25% deposit, you get a better rate! I think that is my new target :D)

Just topped up my OH's ISA from last year, but he had put money IN and taken it OUT during last year! argh! not now though, he knows he must leave it in there!!!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• capstain411
    capstain411 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Fantastic idea this, of pooling all "deposit savers". I save around 1700 pounds every month. It not that I have a extreme frugal existence. But instead work my socks off.

My financial history is as follows....
    Graduated in July 2006.....(worked as if no tomorrow)....cleared the last penny of student debts April 2008.

Savings...
    1) NS&I cash mini ISA
    > £6324.
    2) III Stocks mini ISA
    > £6000.
    3) HSBC online saver
    > £3000.

Now I should admit, others in the post are much more prudent in their choice of savings accounts. Will moving existing NS&I cash ISA to say Scarborough BS isa (6.35% for new and transfered in cash) be a good option.

In terms of regular savings, 3 different regular savers looks like the only option.

Now, sounding bit daft, I have no idea what I am be looking for in terms of house hunt. My life is bit uncertain, I am going to get married mid next year. My fiancee is graduating next year, and not based in UK. So waiting for her to join me, before we can start house hunting. I hope the property market does not pickup next year.
  • jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like you have it all under control! best of luck with the saving! I also hope the market doesn't pick up! I dont think it will!

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Swings an rounabouts to our future saving. DH, after first month in new role, has been given a rise of £5000 per year! But, our real luury, the horse, is being made homeless. We've been paying £22 a week for her stabling, (chosen on the basis she can play with other horses, which is not common in the area we are living in.) The only yard I can find that will offer her turnout with other horses will charge, gulp, £122 pw (but will pay some of her food and other costs) and cost more in petrol. And I still haven't got a job. Which is depressing an infuriating. I'm not sure what to do, because while with the DH's payrise we CAN afford it, I'd rather be putting it in the house fund!
  • RoxieW
    RoxieW Posts: 3,016 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all - glad to see so many joining in :j
    Everyone seems to be doing so well, so I feel like a bit of a fraud that we've managed to save a big fat nothing for march. Reason being, we've resigned ourself to staying in current house while the market evens out, so we decided to have a 'spruce up' and buy a fair few bits for the house.

Hoping to get back on it for April thou.
    MANAGED TO CLEAR A 3K OVERDRAFT IN ONE FRUGAL, SUPER CHARGED MONEY EARNING MONTH!:j
    £10 a day challenge Aug £408.50, Sept £90
    Weekly.
    155/200
    "It's not always rainbows and butterflies, It's compromise that moves us along."
  • neas
    neas Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    Options
    Mines almost 23k but due to wedding its being shaved away for 2-3k :P
  • MrDT
    MrDT Posts: 951 Forumite
    Options
    jamtart6 wrote: »
    well mr DT, you are just going to have to sell your body :D

If there was a chance I could make up the 15k shortfall in the space of a year I'd have a go lol ;):p
  • wilksy007
    wilksy007 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you don't mind if I join in, I'm pretty new to the site and this i one of my 1st posts.

Me (28) and my girlfriend (26) are future first time buyers saving towards a deposit, we don't have a particular target but it would be nice to move in together within the next 18mths or so. (I don't wanna be 30 and still living with the Parents!!! :o ) Between us we earn an average wage, and have £13.5k in ISA's,

We are hoping to eventually get a 3 bed semi, on the outskirts of Bristol.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback