PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• *little.squirrel*
    Options
    GoingOn30 wrote: »
    How's everyone's savings going this month? I actually find it easier to save when the weather is good since I can keep myself amused sitting outside reading a book rather than spending money, I also seem to eat less in general!
    And less on transport too, lots of walking.
    Have to remember to take drinks out with me though, my water bottle is my friend!
    Anybody getting close to their house deposit goal?

Savings pretty low this month but mainly because DH had lots of work expenses. Some we will get back and some not. Hoping we can do a better job in May! We try not to buy water when we are out too - I really hate buying bottled water!! We were both gifted bottles that keep water cold so they should do us well throughout the summer!

Seeing everyone's savings totals has made me think about how much we actually have to hand, and where it is sitting. I know most of our deposit savings are just sitting in a lame savings account so I should really make that work harder. DH has a HTB ISA that we just opened this year but I don't qualify for one because I already have a mortgage.

So... as of May 2018
    HTB ISA - £2000
    Deposit Savings (in lame account) - £4589.81
    Money still in US bank account waiting to transfer - $2703.79 (about £1985)
    Total: £8574.81

Seems like we have a long way to go to £25000! In saying that, there is also money in a US retirement fund that we have to transfer and are planning to use towards the deposit. I *think* its about £8000. Anyway, this is why we are trying really hard to save £6000 this year and next. Hopefully more!
    #112 Save 12k in 2018: 5000/6000
    #35 Save 12k in 2019: 4985.28/7000
    #32 Save 12k in 2020: 13282.17/12000
    #60 Save 12k in 2021: 0/13000
  • Samjh87
    Samjh87 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Room for a super slow one!

Background- 31 years old, one 4 year old daughter, separated from husband at the end of last year and determined to get on to the property ladder regardless of how long it takes! Currently have £3125 in a LISA. Savings will only be £100- £300 a month but anything is better than nothing!

I hope this thread gives me the kick up the bum I need to stop spending the ££ here and there and to put all I can in to savings.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I have savings of £12257. Next month it will be £12557. I had an offer accepted on a 2 bed property this week of £90,000. I have an AIP but I have been to a mortgage broker and am going through the process of getting a mortgage with a different company that is £30 a month cheaper. (allowing me to over pay and be no worse off). I will be putting down £9,000. Now obviously it is early days. My only disappointment is my HTB, had I realised it was not a product for under 40s only, I would have put money into it earlier and had a bigger bonus. Unfortunately it is promoted alongside LISA which are for under 40s.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • lildoonbuggy
    lildoonbuggy Posts: 81 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So, my travel budget blew out by £200 this month, and is already massively on track to blow out this month but I'm hoping that will even out as we steer away from summer holiday travel over June and July. Maybe this is just wishful thinking, as April and May always end up being our busiest months for exploring the mainland!

Otherwise, project 'living on one wage' is going well and I was able to put away £2250 of my leftover pay and this months pay. This bought me up to £14,000 savings. My husband (who pays the bulk of our outgoings for rent/ct, bless him) was able to stash away £700 from last months pay bringing him up to £4200.

Grand total: £18200/£45000. I can't believe we have cracked the £18k mark - I am ridiculously pleased and keeping an ever watchful eye on Yolt to help identify more ways to get us there even quicker.

Congrats to everyone for reaching another milestone!
  • WodaSodowa
    WodaSodowa Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi WodaSodowa, that's a great deal on gym membership, especially including yoga - my local charges £18 per class :eek: was it a special offer? I'm just starting to look at cheap ways of improving fitness. Have been purchasing Groupon deals and spacing them out. Does keep things mixed up.
    I go to Pure Gym- it's £20 a month (you go to as many spin classes as you want) plus I pay £2 to yoga teacher every week so it works out about £28. I think that a lot of stuff is a lot cheaper in N. Ireland (including houses :j ).

On the house front a lot has changed. Yesterday we got our AIP and put an offer on the house. A great house came along- has a lot of space and is a lot less than we thought we will have to spend. It was really unexpected- I didn't think we would start looking before July but my OH persuaded me to have a look at it and I'm so glad he did. I will keep you updated, hopefully we will manage to get it and there will be no major problems in the process.
  • lildoonbuggy
    lildoonbuggy Posts: 81 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Huge congrats WodaSodowa!! That must be so exciting, especially coming in under budget and ahead of schedule, that's the big dream! Keep in touch about how you get on. I will keep my eye out for cheap yoga deals around London in the meantime
  • WodaSodowa
    WodaSodowa Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks lildoonbuggy :D Today we had our offer accepted:j So far everything is running smoothly except that I can't find my passport anywhere...luckily I have my European ID card so hopefully that will be accepted by Natwest but in the meantime I will have to shred our entire house and try to find that stupid passport :mad: We don't even have a mortgage yet and I'm already thinking about overpaying it, I love looking at mortgage free wannabe board- I'm sure I'm not the only one dreaming about it:wink:
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news!
    At least with the BoE keeping rates on hold mortgages should stay affordable to sound-to-be buyers for another few months.
    Keep saving Wodasodowa, you might just back the next LTV bracket before your mortgage application!
  • mylastpound
    mylastpound Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WodaSodowa wrote: »
    :D Today we had our offer accepted:j I love looking at mortgage free wannabe board- I'm sure I'm not the only one dreaming about it:wink:

Aww Congrats and i the same. i was on there last night thinking the same lol
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: £1,000 / £2,000 - House Deposit: £11,000 / £11,000 - Holiday Fund: £100 / £1,300 -
    June 2018 Grocery Challenge £61.59 / £250
  • Nicosy
    Nicosy Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Otherwise, project 'living on one wage' is going well and I was able to put away £2250 of my leftover pay and this months pay. This bought me up to £14,000 savings. My husband (who pays the bulk of our outgoings for rent/ct, bless him) was able to stash away £700 from last months pay bringing him up to £4200.

Nearly £3k/month is a decent chunk of change to be saving, well done!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback