PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The 'We're saving for a deposit' thread

Options

Comments

• talliedebtbuster
    Options
    Hi Rosie Ill join this thread!
    Great Idea! Well i am concentrating on clearing my main debt this and next month so can start saving from May really. Ill just have the student loan, but have been advised to leave that for a while as payments are being made through my wages anyway. Im in London so it is going to be a real struggle. I am going to work through the options and see how the market goes till the end of the year. In the meantime hopefully save!

What im doing is making a list of everything i would need for my aim of a 2 bed home or flat seems more likely!! How much would all these bits costs etc.
    Debt for Tallie - JUNE 2009
    NATWEST LOAN......5000.00
    CREDIT CARDS........5000.00
    STUDENT LOAN.......7500.00
    TESCO CARD..........1000.00
  • simplicity
    simplicity Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Ok Ivana (on the other thread) informs me I'm no 8.

Hello everyone. I'm 24 years old and taking home around 1150 a month. Aiming to save as close to a grand as possible but isn't always possible when I have big spends. For example the month when car goes into service/insurance renewal etc.

My other half is an assistant psychologist and earning round about the same. We're aiming to buy around the end of this year (though now not sure due to state of the market) or start of 2009. It's difficult as I'm from Surrey and he's from London and both are pricey.

I have maxed out this years ISA.

I put in 250 into a HSBC regular saver
    another 250 into YBS reg saver (joint account OH puts in 250 too maxing it out to 500)
    and whatever is left goes to ICESAVE savings account.

Aiming to have around 17k of my own by the end of 2008. My boyfriend has higher outgoings so can't match this. The way I think is that I can get the majority of the deposit together whilst he can get enough for fees and decorating/furniture costs.

Oh and how do i go about a sig?
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scroll up to the top and there should be a bar going across the page just under the pic of martin. click on USER CP, which will take you to a new page. from the bar on the left hand side of the page, select the option to 'edit signature'

after that, its just like typing a post :j
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • lyndasharp
    lyndasharp Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'd like to join as well, which I guess makes me number 9? I'm 28, single, taking home just under £1100 per month, only able to save about £300 per month from that (rent is £400 pcm, shared house!). I'm not sure where I'll be buying yet, as I'm just getting short term contracts at the moment and I need to find a contract for at least a couple of years before I even consider it! Still, I'm trying to increase my savings as much as possible in the mean time. Hopefully I'll get a nice amount of ISA interest through very soon, and with the new tax year transfer I'll have £25,000 in there (Icesave). I'm aiming for £30,000 saved this time next year!

Currently £50 pcm going into a shares ISA, £50 pcm Halifax regular saver, and at the moment the rest is in a Halifax internet saving account, which isn't brilliant interest (4.7% ish), so I really need to open a instant access saver with better interest rates for the rest!
    Live on £11k in 2011 :D
  • CHARDONNAY_3
    Options
    I'd like to join too.

My boyfriend and I are low income paupers. He earns £14000 and I earn £12000 a year. We currently have £3000 in an ISA and a further £3000+
    in a high interest account.

There was a little more, but have dipped that for a hol in June!

We have just got engaged and are planning to get married (abroad) in summer 2010, so hoping to buy a place then.

Currently saving £400 a month, plus an engagement party looming. Have asked for donations to deposit fund from close family.

Good luck to all other deposit savers - it's nice to have some support!

P.s - are there any other low income paupers saving too?
  • lyndasharp
    lyndasharp Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    :eek: Eeek. I wanted to check how much I've now got towards the deposit, and just had a look online. My ISA savings were supposed to transfer from Nationwide to Icesave today, they've disappeared from Nationwide but not showing on Icesave. I'm sure they'll show up on the system soon...
    Live on £11k in 2011 :D
  • MidTwentySomthing
    Options
    We're saving!

Curretnly boyfreinds Isa 1: £7000
    Abbey savings account: 10,000
    My current account (soon to be transfered to another ISA) £3000

Not bad for a years work, but we were living with the rents for a while to boost the house deposit fund so rate of saving will probably be droping a bit as we now rent. Currently saving at a rate of £1000 a month, with rent being the same (london innit). And some spare for bills and booze (well we have to have some fun don't we)!

So hopefully by the time we are finished renting (and - yes of course prices are dropping) we'll be able to afford to buy more than a poxy little shitehole flat in Elephant and Castle.

Lets keep fingers crossed people.

Nationwide year on year house price growth is 1% anyway so we're better off with an ISA with the way things stand at the moment. No point in rushing in yet!
  • playing_with_fire
    Options
    I'll join.

27 and got approx £20,700 saved. Boyfriend finishes uni this year so hopefully when he gets a job the amount will go up a bit quicker although I don't think I've done too badly on my own.

I've just transferred my Isa's to Icesave and am going to review my savings accounts this month. I admit I too love seeing it creep up every month, my boyfriend thinks my obsession with saving is hilarious.

I'll post figures when my isa's have moved.
  • simplicity
    simplicity Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    you certainly haven't done badly on your own!

ditto re: boyfriend thinking obsession with savings. mine's the same and is less hardcore about it than me. though my attitude is rubbing off on him thesedays.
  • oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    Options
    How did everyone do with their savings in March? We boosted ours by £1250, which I am pretty pleased with!

My savings challenge for April is £1500. Anyone else up for setting themselves an April savings challenge?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback