Borough Market, London - expensive?

Options
Badgergal
Badgergal Posts: 531 Forumite
Despite having lived in London all my life I have never been here, however as an attempt to eat more organic food etc someone suggested I try here.

I always thought of it as very expensive "posh" food and touristy. Is this true? Any recommendations of any particular stalls etc..?

Thank you :)

Comments

• cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's pretty expensive on the whole, but nice if you want to treat yourself to something. I only noticed one fruit & veggie stall when I was last there. It was mostly cheeses & meats, delicious looking cakes & biscuits, pickles etc. Maybe it makes a difference the day you go as I went mid-week. It has a very continental feel to it.There are a couple of nice places to go for coffee, one we went it definitely gave you the feeling you were in France & you weren't made to feel you were outstaying your welcome when wanting to just sit back & natter away long after finishing your drink.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • bring1t
    bring1t Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I work just down the road from it, it is much bigger on Fridays than on Sat. On the Sat it is only the one frut stall howeve ron Fri there is about 3-4!! A
  • martinpike
    Options
    It's definitely expensive, but if you want something a bit different to what's offered in the supermarkets, and like to see your money going directly to the producer, then go for it.
  • UltraCheap_2
    UltraCheap_2 Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    Expensive, but great selection available, and a few good deals to be found as well
    I :heart2: Waitrose
  • AnnaV
    AnnaV Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    It's quite a good cheap day out on a Saturday I'd say, you can get a few bits and pieces and have a wander round, it's really good fun (make sure you try the cheese shop round the corner, it's AMAZING).

However personally I'd say it's a bit too expensive for a regular shop. Local markets are the best for fruit & veg, we get ours from Dalston market and you can get three peppers for 50p instead of the 80p EACH that the supermarket charges.
    Anna :beer:
  • critical1
    Options
    Peckham farmers market looks a bit cheaper...
  • spidey
    spidey Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I love Borough Market, they have lovely meat etc, but agree it's too dear to shop there regularly.
    21% Chav :rolleyes:
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Options
    Spittlefields market on sundays is good for organic fruit and veg - dont know if its any cheaper though. I dont mind paying a bit over the odds for organic because there are SO many reasons to buy it and not just that it tastes better. Look at the old syle board for good ideas on how to stretch stuff!

nb. does anyone know what time borough market is on Saturday? I might wonder down and have a look - even if I dont buy anything, I just have an obsession with markets!
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • spidey
    spidey Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    It's open 9-4 on Saturdays, but the earlier you get there, the better.

The website is here....

http://www.boroughmarket.org.uk/aboutus.html
    21% Chav :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills